Many East Texans were disappointed and confused when they turned on their TVs on Sunday, October 29, 2023, and did not see the Dallas Cowboys game. Instead, they saw the Houston Texans playing against the Carolina Panthers. Why did this happen, and what can fans do to avoid missing their favorite team’s games in the future? This article will explain the reasons behind the local broadcast decision, the options for watching the game, and some tips for accessing local broadcasts.
Cowboys Game Not Broadcast Locally
The reason why the Cowboys game was not broadcast locally in East Texas was because of two factors: the decision of KFXK-TV, the local FOX affiliate, and the NFL’s rules for local markets.
- KFXK-TV decision to air Texans game instead: According to KFXK-TV officials, it was an NFL decision to give the East Texas area the Texans game instead of the Cowboys vs. Los Angeles Rams game in Arlington. The station said it had no control over the programming choice, and that it was following the NFL’s guidelines.
- NFL’s decision to prioritize different local markets: According to the NFL, Tyler is a secondary market for the Texans. This means that whenever the Texans are on the road, their game must be carried within their secondary market. The NFL also has blackout policies that prevent local stations from airing games that are not sold out or are competing with other games in the same time slot. The NFL said that these rules are designed to protect the interests of the teams, the fans, and the broadcasters.
- Impact on East Texas viewers: The result of these factors was that many East Texans missed the Cowboys game, which they had been looking forward to watching. Some fans were able to watch the game at bars and restaurants that had the NFL Sunday Ticket, a subscription service that allows access to all out-of-market games. However, many fans were frustrated and angry that they could not watch their favorite team at home.
Options for Watching the Game
If you are a Cowboys fan living in East Texas, and you do not want to miss any of their games, you have some options for watching them. Here are some of them:
- Tune in to a neighboring market’s broadcast: If you live near the border of another market that carries the Cowboys game, you may be able to watch it on their local channel. For example, if you live in Longview, you may be able to watch the game on KDFW-TV, the FOX affiliate in Dallas-Fort Worth. However, this option may not work if you are too far away from the signal or if there is interference from other stations.
- Purchase the game through a streaming service: If you have a smart TV, a computer, or a mobile device, you may be able to watch the game online through a streaming service. Some of these services include YouTube TV, Hulu + Live TV, Sling TV, FuboTV, and AT&T TV Now. These services offer different packages and prices, and some of them may require a subscription or a one-time payment. You should check their availability and compatibility before signing up.
- Use a TV antenna for local channels: If you have a TV antenna, you may be able to receive local channels over-the-air for free. This option may work if you are close enough to the transmitter and if there is no interference from other sources. You should check your TV’s manual or online guide for how to scan for channels and adjust your antenna.
Tips for Accessing Local Broadcasts
If you want to watch local broadcasts of NFL games, here are some tips that may help you:
- Check TV listings beforehand: You should always check your TV listings before each game to see which channel is airing it. You can use your TV’s guide function or call your cable provider for more information.
- Consider subscribing to a streaming service or cable package: If you want more options and flexibility for watching NFL games, you may want to consider subscribing to a streaming service or cable package that offers them. You should compare different services and packages based on their features, prices, availability, and compatibility. You should also read their terms and conditions carefully before signing up.
- Research local market blackouts: You should be aware of the NFL’s blackout policies that may affect your ability to watch certain games in your area. You should research which markets are primary or secondary for which teams, and which games may be subject to blackouts.
The Cowboys game was not broadcast locally in East Texas because of the NFL’s rules for local markets and the decision of KFXK-TV, the local FOX affiliate. This caused many fans to miss the game or to watch it elsewhere. However, there are some options for watching the game, such as tuning in to a neighboring market’s broadcast, purchasing the game through a streaming service, or using a TV antenna for local channels. You should also check TV listings beforehand, consider subscribing to a streaming service or cable package, and research local market blackouts to avoid missing any future games.