The error ssl_error_rx_record_too_long occurs while you are trying to browse a website in the Mozilla Firefox browser. It primarily gets triggered if the SSL traffic is not set properly in the target secure server.
Sometimes, this error may arise due to the misconfigured Proxy settings that are not allowing the SSL on 443 port properly. This indicates that the browser is unable to verify data due to the misconfigured SSL certificate.
Are you also getting the same error? Don’t worry, keep reading this article carefully. In this guide, you will learn the effective hacks that can help you to troubleshoot this error in minutes.
So, have a quick look at the guide discussed below and pick the method that suits best. Otherwise, you can also perform all the methods until you are able to remove the error permanently.
Effective Solutions to Fix the ssl_error_rx_record_too_long Firefox
Here, we have gathered the easy solutions to solve the ssl_error_rx_record_too_long error. Before applying the below hacks, you can try to connect to the website by bypassing the security protocol.
To do this, first, go to your desired website. Afterward, replace “https://” with “http://” and press the Enter key from the keyboard. Check if you are able to load the website. Else, you can perform the troubleshooting hacks provided below:
Solution 1: Using No Proxy Settings
You can troubleshoot this error by navigating to the Connection settings of Firefox. Then, configure the “no proxy settings” of the browser. You can configure the settings by performing the steps as follows:
- First, launch the Mozilla Firefox browser. Open its menu and click on the Options.
- Go to the ‘Network Proxy’ category and tap on the Settings button.
- Now, if you see that the Firefox is configured with a non-essential proxy connection. You can choose the ‘No proxy’ option from the list.
- Afterward, tap on the OK button to complete this procedure.
Now, restart the browser and check if the error is resolved. Else, you can continue with the further procedures provided below.
Learn also : How to Fix ‘ERR_CACHE_MISS’ in Google Chrome
Solution 2: Open Mozilla Firefox in Safe Mode
You can solve the error code: ssl_error_rx_record_too_long by opening the Firefox in Safe Mode. It will disable the hardware acceleration and add-ons temporarily and reset the settings to its default theme.
How to Open the Firefox in Safe Mode?
In the beginning, open the Firefox browser and tap on the Menu button. Now, choose the ‘Restart with Add-ons Disabled’ option from the list. Next, confirm the chosen option by clicking on the ‘Restart’ button. Afterward, tap on the ‘Start in Safe Mode’ option.
After that, you can try to connect the website again to check if the error is fixed. Otherwise, you can navigate to the next solution described below.
Solution 3: Disable TLS 1.3
Another procedure you can perform is to disable the TLS 1.3 protocol by using the Firefox settings. Here are the steps you can perform to do this:
- Launch the Firefox browser. Next, type “about: config” in the address bar and hit the Enter key from the keyboard to proceed.
- Afterward, you have to search for the “tls.version.max’ entry and change the value from 4 to 3. Here the value 3 stands for TLS 1.2 and 4 stands for TLS 1.3.
- Now, you can restart the browser to check if the error ssl_error_rx_record_too_long is fixed. Else, you can install the latest update of the browser to get rid of this error.
Solution 4: Install the Latest Update
Firefox usually gets updated automatically. But sometimes, it fails to get the updates on time. Hence, you can try to update the Firefox browser to its latest version to get rid of this error.
How to Update the Mozilla Firefox Browser?
First of all, open the browser and open the Firefox Menu. Click on the Help option from the list. Afterward, choose the About option.
It will navigate you to a new window and here you can check the version of the Firefox browser. If there are any recent versions of the Firefox browser, then it gets downloaded automatically.
Now, you can check if the error still persists. Else, you can check the antivirus program that is installed on the computer.
Solution 5: Check the Antivirus
Sometimes, you may also encounter the error ssl_error_rx_record_too_long due to the antivirus program. The antivirus can conflict with the browser and results in this error.
Hence, you can solve this by disabling the antivirus program. To do this, you can perform the steps mentioned below:
For Windows 10:
First, bring up the Start menu and open the Settings (gear-shaped) icon.
- Navigate to the ‘Update and Security’ category and click on the ‘Windows Security’ to open this.
- Afterward, tap on the ‘Virus & Threat protection’ tab and then tap on the Settings button.
- Now, go to the ‘Real-time Protection’ section and turn it off.
For Windows 7:
At first, open the Control Panel by going to the Start menu.
- Go to the ‘View by’ tab and choose the ‘Small icon’ option from the list.
- Now, search for the Windows Defender and open it. Choose the Tools and click on the ‘Options’.
- Afterward, go to the left pane and tap on the ‘Real-time Protection’ option.
- Lastly, uncheck the ‘Use real-time protection’ box.
Afterward, you can check if the ssl_error_rx_record_too_long still occurs.
With this, we are going to put an end to this article. We hope, after executing the above hacks, you are able to open the website that was previously unavailable through Firefox. Additionally, you can share your valuable feedback in the comment section.