The printer driver is the device that allows communication between your operating system and your printer. When your driver is not working properly, communication cannot take place. The driver is what translates the machine state from computer to printer and back again. When you install a new printer, you should update the driver before it’s installed so that it will work with your new printer. If your printer stops working, you need to determine why before you can repair it.
Often when printing documents on a Windows PC, you can see a “Printer Driver is Unavailable” error. This form of the problem is very popular on HP printers and Epson, but it can also happen with other brands. An Epson driver is unavailable, which is a common issue faced by users of the Epson printer. So what to do if you face this problem? Let find out in the article further…
What is the meaning of Driver is Unavailable for Printer?
The meaning of printer driver is unavailable is that your printer drivers are having a specific problem and that you cannot operate properly on your machine.
This error usually occurs when the printer driver is not up to date or corrupt, or if new changes to Windows are needed. But the most important reason for this issue is corrupt and incompatible printer drivers.
Why is my Epson Printer Driver Unavailable?
This message clearly states that the installed driver is either outdated or not compatible with your Operating System. Kindly update your driver or install the compatible driver for your printer.
What is HP Printer Driver is Unavailable Error?
HP Printer Driver is Unavailable Error is caused by faulty or outdated drivers. If your printer driver is not working correctly, you should try to update its driver. There are many driver update utilities available on the Internet. To use driver update software, you will need to download the latest update. A new driver will be downloaded and placed into the printer driver update folder.
It is very important to keep drivers up to date. If a device is not supported by your current driver, then you may need to update it. Not only will this update make your device work properly, but it will prevent driver errors from occurring. It is not safe to install drivers if they are not up to date because if an error occurs, the device will not work.
How to Fix Printer Driver Unavailable Error?
#1 Requirement – Change UAC Settings
- Log in as Administrator.
- Navigate Control Panel > User Accounts > Change User Account Control Settings
- Set the slider on the third level where it says “Notify me only when apps try to make changes to my computer (default)”
- Click OK.
- Now after that Click Yes if a User Account Control Settings window appears.
#2 Requirement – Finish Admin Account Verification
It allows the admin user additional rights of all device updates. Follow the steps below…
- Log in as Administrator.
- Navigate Control Panel > User Accounts > Make changes to my account in PC settings
- Click on Verify just below your info and image.
- Choose one of the methods when it asks for“ how would you like to get this code”.
- Click Next.
- Code will be sent to the preferred destination.
- Then enter the code and your device will be verified.
#1 Fix – Reinstall your Printer Driver
The driver of your printer is corrupted or other important data have been destroyed. If so, you must uninstall and install the driver again. That is what you should follow:
- Navigate to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Device and Printers > Device Manager.
- Find your printer model on the list.
- Right-click on the icon.
- Choose the Remove device option.
- Reinstall your printer’s drivers.
#2 Fix – Update your Windows OS
An outdated operating system is another reason for the driver is unavailable printer error. Follow the steps below…
- Click on the Search Bar beside the Start Menu icon and type Update.
- Now click on Check for updates option.
- Now Windows will start checking for available updates and install them automatically.
- You need to restart your system after the update completes to make the changes.
- Print a test page from your PC and see if any error occurs now.
#3 Fix – For Plug and Play Printers
To deal with a printer driver is unavailable error in Plug and Play printer follow the steps below:
- Disconnect the printer from the system and unplug all the cables from the printers.
- Reconnect everything back and follow the steps in the setup wizard.
- If anything does no pop up follow this step.
- Navigate to Start > Settings > Devices > Add a Printer or Scanner.
- Now your Windows will start detecting printers connected to your PC. Once it detects your printer, complete the rest of the setup.
Hopefully, one of these above methods will help you fix Printer Driver is Unavailable problem. The driver update is easy if you know what you need. Make sure that your device is still working properly before you do anything else. You can always use Driver Updater to find out if you need to update the drivers on your computer. If you run the utility, you will see if there are any outdated drivers that need updating. If so, you just need to download and install the latest driver that you can get for your device. Hope this fixes the issue. Let us know in the comment section below.