The error “Printer Driver is Unavailable” means that your system can’t find the correct drivers for your printer. This can prevent you from printing your documents or other items.
There are several possible solutions to fix this problem.
Step 1 – Change UAC Settings
The User Account Control (UAC) in Windows 10, 8, or 7 notifies you prior to making any modifications to Windows, typically involving administrative privileges. To ensure a smooth installation of printer modules and drivers, configure your UAC settings accordingly. Please follow the steps provided below.
- Log in as Administrator.
- Navigate Control Panel > User Accounts > Change User Account Control Settings
- Set the slider on the third level where it says “Notify me only when apps try to make changes to my computer (default)”
- Click OK.
- Now after that Click Yes if a User Account Control Settings window appears.
Step 2 – Finish Admin Account Verification
It allows the admin user additional rights to all device updates. Follow the steps below…
- Log in as Administrator.
- Navigate Control Panel > User Accounts > Make changes to my account in PC settings
- Click on Verify just below your info and image.
- Choose one of the methods when it asks for “how would you like to get this code”.
- Click Next.
- The code will be sent to the preferred option.
- Then enter the code and your device will be verified.
Step 3 – Reinstall The Printer Driver
The driver of your printer may be corrupted. If so, you must uninstall and install the driver again.
Follow the steps to do so:
- Navigate to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Device and Printers > Device Manager.
- Find your printer model on the list.
- Right-click on the icon.
- Choose the Remove Device option.
- Reinstall your printer’s drivers.
Step 4 – Update Windows OS
An outdated operating system is another reason for the driver is unavailable printer error. Follow the steps below…
- Click on the Search Bar beside the Start Menu icon and type Update.
- Now click on the Check for updates option.
- Now Windows will start checking for available updates and install them automatically.
- You need to restart your system after the update completes to make the changes.
- Print a test page from your PC and see if any error occurs now.
Alternate Fix For Plug and Play Printers
To deal with a printer driver is an unavailable error in Plug and Play printer follow the steps below:
- Disconnect the printer from the system and unplug all the cables from the printers.
- Reconnect everything back and follow the steps in the setup wizard.
- If anything does no pop up follow this step.
- Navigate to Start > Settings > Devices > Add a Printer or Scanner.
- Now your Windows will start detecting printers connected to your PC.
- Once it detects your printer, complete the rest of the setup.