Withers is a mysterious NPC in Baldur’s Gate 3, a role-playing video game developed by Larian Studios. He is a skeleton who claims to be a former adventurer and a scholar of the arcane. He can offer valuable services to the player, such as respecing characters, reviving dead companions, and providing lore information. However, some players have encountered a bug where Withers does not appear in the sarcophagus where he is supposed to be found. This article will explain how to find Withers, how to fix the bug, and what to expect from him.
Baldur’s Gate 3 Withers Location and Quest Guide
Withers is part of the quest “Explore the Ruins”, which is triggered when the player enters the chapel near the Overgrown Ruins. Inside the chapel, there is a hidden lever that opens a secret passage to the Dank Crypt. The player needs to explore the crypt and find the Richly Adorned Sarcophagus, where Withers is supposed to be waiting.
Finding Withers in the Dank Crypt
The Dank Crypt is a dark and dangerous place, filled with traps, skeletons, and undead creatures. The player needs to be careful and use perception checks, light sources, and stealth to avoid or overcome the obstacles. There are also some optional areas and secrets to discover, such as a hidden chest, a locked door, and a puzzle involving four statues.
The Richly Adorned Sarcophagus is located in a small room at the end of the crypt. The player needs to open the sarcophagus to trigger a dialogue with Withers. However, the player may need to equip the Speak with the Dead amulet, which can be found in the same room, to be able to communicate with him.
Defeating Skeletons and Opening the Sarcophagus
Before opening the sarcophagus, the player may have to deal with a group of skeletons that guard the room. The skeletons are not very strong, but they can be annoying with their ranged attacks and their ability to reanimate. The player can use fire, acid, or radiant damage to prevent them from reviving, or use the environment to their advantage, such as pushing them into pits or spikes.
Opening the sarcophagus will initiate a cutscene where Withers emerges from it and greets the player. He will ask the player a question about their purpose in the crypt, and the player can choose from several dialogue options to respond. Depending on the player’s choices, Withers may be friendly, curious, or hostile. The player can also try to persuade, intimidate, or deceive him, or use their skills or background to influence him.
Withers Not Appearing in Sarcophagus Bug Fix
Some players have reported a bug where Withers does not appear in the sarcophagus, even after opening it and equipping the Speak with the Dead amulet. This bug prevents the player from completing the quest “Explore the Ruins” and accessing Withers’ services. There are several possible causes and solutions for this bug, as follows:
Potential solutions for resolving the bug
- Reload a previous save before entering the Dank Crypt, and try opening the sarcophagus again. This may work for some players, but not for others.
- Leave the Dank Crypt without opening the sarcophagus or the other chest in the secret room, and return to the camp. Withers may show up in the camp later, even though he was not encountered in the crypt. This has been confirmed by some players, but it may not work for everyone.
- Read the plaque next to the sarcophagus, and then talk to Withers in the camp. There will be a new dialogue option about the plaque, and choosing it may complete the quest as if the player had met Withers in the crypt. This is a possible workaround for players who have already encountered Withers in the camp, but not in the sarcophagus.
- Wait for a patch from the developers that fixes the bug. The game is still in early access, and bugs are expected to occur. The developers are aware of the issue and are working on a solution.
Reporting the bug to developers
If none of the above solutions work, or if the player wants to help the developers fix the bug, they can report it to the developers through the following channels:
- Use the in-game feedback tool, which can be accessed by pressing Ctrl + F8. This will allow the player to send a screenshot, a description, and a save file of the bug to the developers.
- Use the official forums, which can be found here. The player can post a thread about the bug, and include as much detail as possible, such as the game version, the platform, the steps to reproduce the bug, and any screenshots or videos.
- Use the official Discord server, which can be joined here. The player can use the #bug-reports channel to report the bug, and follow the same guidelines as the forums.
What to expect from the interaction with Withers
Withers is a unique and interesting NPC, who can offer more than just services to the player. He can also engage in philosophical conversations, reveal secrets about the world, and reward the player with items and experience. Here are some of the things that the player can expect from the interaction with Withers:
Indulging in spiritual musings
Withers is a skeleton who claims to have lived for centuries, and has witnessed many events and changes in the world. He is fascinated by the concept of death and the afterlife, and he likes to share his thoughts and opinions with the player. He will ask the player questions about their beliefs, their fears, and their hopes, and he will respond accordingly. The player can agree, disagree, or challenge him, or simply listen to his ramblings. The player can also learn more about Withers’ past, his motivations, and his goals.
Obtaining valuable information and rewards
Withers is not only a scholar of the arcane, but also a collector of rare and valuable items. He has amassed a large amount of knowledge and wealth over the years, and he is willing to share some of it with the player. He can provide information about the history, the lore, and the secrets of the world, such as the origin of the tadpoles, the nature of the Absolute, and the location of hidden treasures. He can also reward the player with items, such as scrolls, potions, gems, and artifacts, depending on the player’s choices and actions. Some of these items may be useful for the player’s adventure, while others may have hidden effects or consequences.
Withers is a NPC in Baldur’s Gate 3 who can be found in the Dank Crypt, inside a sarcophagus. He can offer services, such as respecing, reviving, and providing lore, to the player. However, some players may encounter a bug where Withers does not appear in the sarcophagus, preventing them from completing the quest “Explore the Ruins”. This bug can be fixed by reloading a save, leaving the crypt, reading the plaque, or waiting for a patch. Withers is a interesting and helpful NPC, who can engage in philosophical conversations, reveal secrets, and reward the player with items and experience. He is a character worth meeting and interacting with, as he may have a significant role in the story.