Wicks hairstyle is a trendy kind of dreadlock that involves thickening locs by combining them to form big instead of the regular small locs. This article will tell you everything you need to know about this unique hairstyle and how you can achieve it yourself.
What is Wicks Hairstyle?
Definition and description of Wicks Hairstyle
Wicks hairstyle is a type of dreadlock that consists of very thick and few locs, usually between 4 to 10, that resemble the wick of a candle. The locs are either formed by crocheting existing locs together, tying them with rubber bands, or letting them freeform naturally.
Origin and cultural significance
In South Florida, the inception of Wick’s hairstyle took root, particularly within the Afro-Caribbean and African-American demographics. Hip-hop culture and its Florida subgenres embraced this style. Its prominence soared when personalities such as Kodak Black adopted it.
How to Achieve Wicks Hairstyle
Rubber band combine method
This method involves sectioning your hair or existing locs into the desired number of wicks and securing them with rubber bands at the roots. Then, you wait for the sections to fuse together over time, which can take several months or years depending on your hair texture and length.
This method involves letting your hair or existing locs form wicks naturally by washing and rinsing them regularly without combing, twisting, or separating them. This way, the hair or locs will lock onto each other and create thick wicks. This method can also take a long time to achieve the desired result.
Crochet combined method
This technique engages a crochet needle, often equipped with a pair of hooks or more, for merging hair or pre-existing locs into wicks. Though it affords instant wicks, the duration and complexity it entails may vary with hair length and density. Wick ends may require a cut for a round, smooth finish.
Benefits and Considerations of Wicks Hairstyle
The advantages of a wicks hairstyle present a cost-effective choice, as upkeep does not require expenditure on products, tools, or salon visits. Maintenance simply involves occasional washing, moisturizing, and cleanliness.
Promotion of hair growth
Wicks hairstyle serves to encourage hair growth. It accomplishes this by guarding against damage, split ends, and breakage that can result from overhandling, heat or chemicals. Beyond safeguarding hair, this hairstyle also shields the scalp from the sun’s rays and various environmental elements.
Maintenance and care tips
Some of the tips for maintaining and caring for your wicks hairstyle are:
- Wash your wicks every 1 to 2 weeks with a mild shampoo and conditioner
- Moisturize your wicks with natural oils or butters
- Avoid using wax, gel, or other products that can cause buildup or residue
- Cover your wicks with a silk or satin scarf or bonnet at night
- Trim any loose hairs or frizz that may stick out from your wicks
- Avoid pulling, twisting, or tugging on your wicks as they can weaken or break them
Common myths and misconceptions
Some of the common myths and misconceptions about wicks hairstyle are:
- Wicks are dirty or unhygienic: This is not true, as wicks can be washed and cleaned just like any other hairstyle. Wicks are not more prone to lice, mold, or bacteria than other hairstyles if they are properly cared for.
- Wicks are permanent or irreversible: This is not true, as wicks can be removed or undone if you want to change your hairstyle. However, removing wicks can be difficult and may require cutting some of your hair or using a lot of conditioner to loosen them.
- Wicks are only for men: This is not true, as wicks can be worn by anyone regardless of their gender identity or expression. Wicks are a versatile hairstyle that can suit different personalities and preferences.
Wicks Hairstyle Trends in 2023
Popular Wicks Hairstyle variations
Some of the popular variations of wicks hairstyle are:
- High-top wicks: This style involves having wicks only on the top part of your head while shaving or fading the sides and back.
- Dyed wicks: This style involves coloring your wicks with different shades or patterns to add some flair and contrast to your look.
- Wicks with beads or accessories: This style involves adding beads, rings, shells, or other accessories to your wicks to decorate and personalize them.
- Inspiration and styling ideas for different hair types and lengths
Inspiration and styling ideas for different hair types and lengths
Some of the inspiration and styling ideas for different hair types and lengths are:
- For short hair: You can start your wicks with the crochet method or the rubber band method and have them stand up or lay down on your head. You can also add some color or accessories to spice up your look.
- For medium hair: You can start your wicks with any of the methods and have them hang down or tie them up in a bun, ponytail, or half-up style. You can also experiment with different shapes and sizes of your wicks.
- For long hair: You can start your wicks with any of the methods and have them drape over your shoulders or back. You can also braid, twist, or curl your wicks for different textures and styles.
Wicks hairstyle is a unique and trendy way of rocking dreadlocks that originated in South Florida. It involves having very thick and few locs that resemble candle wicks. You can achieve this hairstyle by using different methods such as crocheting, rubber banding, or freeforming. Wicks hairstyle has many benefits such as cost-effectiveness, promotion of hair growth, and versatility. It also has some considerations such as maintenance, care, and removal. Wicks hairstyle is expected to be popular in 2023, with many variations and styling ideas for different hair types and lengths. If you want to try something new and cool with your hair, you should consider giving wicks hairstyle a try.