Marvel’s Echo is the latest series to join the MCU, streaming on both Disney+ and Hulu. The show follows Maya Lopez, a deaf Native American woman who has the ability to mimic any skill or movement she sees. She was first introduced in Hawkeye as an adversary of Clint Barton and Kate Bishop, but later turned against her adoptive father, Wilson Fisk, aka Kingpin. In Echo, we get to see more of her backstory, her family, and her journey to find her true identity.
But who plays the young Maya Lopez, who appears in flashbacks throughout the series? The answer is Darnell Besaw, a 10-year-old Menominee actress from Wisconsin. She is also the cousin of Alaqua Cox, who plays the adult Maya Lopez in the show. This is Besaw’s first on-screen role, and she does a splendid job of portraying the challenges and joys of Maya’s childhood.
Meet the Main Cast of Marvel’s Echo
Besides Besaw and Cox, who are the main stars of the show, Echo also features some familiar faces from the MCU, as well as some new ones. Here are the main cast members of Marvel’s Echo:
- Alaqua Cox as Maya Lopez/Echo – Cox is a newcomer to the MCU, having made her debut in Hawkeye. She is also a deaf Native American actress, who belongs to the Menominee tribe. She stars as Maya Lopez, who has a photographic memory and can copy any skill she sees. She was raised by Kingpin after he killed her father, but later discovered the truth and sought revenge. In Echo, she returns to her hometown in Oklahoma, where she reconnects with her family and her roots.
- Vincent D’Onofrio as Wilson Fisk/Kingpin – D’Onofrio is a veteran actor, who has appeared in films such as Full Metal Jacket, Men in Black, and Jurassic World. He reprised his role as Kingpin, the ruthless crime lord who rules over New York’s underworld, from the Netflix series Daredevil. He is the adoptive father of Maya, who trained her to be his weapon and his heir. However, he also orchestrated the murder of her biological father, which led to Maya’s betrayal. In Echo, he survives Maya’s attempt to kill him, and vows to get her back.
- Charlie Cox as Matt Murdock/Daredevil – Cox is another actor who returns to the MCU from the Netflix series Daredevil, where he played the titular hero. He is a blind lawyer who fights crime in Hell’s Kitchen, using his enhanced senses and martial arts skills. He has a long history with Kingpin, who is his archenemy. He also has a connection with Maya, who he meets early on in her journey. He helps her understand her abilities and her destiny, and also warns her of the dangers of Kingpin.
Other Important Cast Members
Echo also introduces some new characters to the MCU, who are mostly related to Maya’s family and her Native American heritage. Here are some of the other important cast members of Marvel’s Echo:
- Chaske Spencer as Henry – Spencer is best known for his role as Sam Uley, the leader of the werewolf pack, in the Twilight saga. He plays Maya’s uncle, who is also involved in Kingpin’s criminal activities. He is loyal to Kingpin, and tries to persuade Maya to return to his side.
- Tantoo Cardinal as Chula – Cardinal is a legendary actress, who has appeared in films such as Dances with Wolves, Wind River, and Killers of the Flower Moon. She plays Maya’s grandmother, who is estranged from her due to her father’s actions. She is a wise and strong woman, who teaches Maya about her culture and her history.
- Devery Jacobs as Bonnie – Jacobs is a rising star, who has starred in shows such as Reservation Dogs, American Gods, and The Order. She plays Maya’s cousin, who is more like a sister to her. She is supportive and protective of Maya, and helps her adjust to her new life in Oklahoma.
- Zahn McClarnon as William Lopez – McClarnon is a prolific actor, who has appeared in shows such as Fargo, Westworld, and Longmire. He plays Maya’s biological father, who was killed by Kingpin when she was a child. He was a boxer and a musician, who taught Maya how to fight and how to play the drums. He also gave her a pendant with the symbol of Echo, which represents her spirit and her power.
- Cody Lightning as Cousin Biscuits – Lightning is a young actor, who has appeared in films such as Hey, Viktor! and Smoke Signals. He plays Maya’s cousin, who is the first person she meets when she returns to Oklahoma. He is a friendly and funny kid, who likes to play video games and make jokes.
- Graham Greene as Skully – Greene is an Oscar-nominated actor, who has appeared in films such as The Green Mile, The Twilight Saga: New Moon, and Molly’s Game. He plays Maya’s grandfather, who is a respected elder of the tribe. He welcomes Maya back to the community, and gives her advice and guidance.
- Katarina Ziervogel as Taloa – Ziervogel is a newcomer to the MCU, who plays Maya’s love interest in the show. She is a singer and a dancer, who performs at a local club. She is attracted to Maya, and shares her passion for music and art.
- Andrew Howard as Zane – Howard is a Welsh actor, who has appeared in shows such as Watchmen, The Outpost, and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. He plays a mercenary who works for Kingpin, and is sent to track down and capture Maya. He is a ruthless and skilled fighter, who poses a serious threat to Maya and her allies.
- Morningstar Angeline as Lowak – Angeline is a Native American actress, who has appeared in films such as Drunktown’s Finest and The Space Between Us. She plays Maya’s friend, who is also a member of the tribe. She is a loyal and brave woman, who helps Maya in her mission to stop Kingpin.
- Dannie McCallum as Tuklo – McCallum is a Canadian actor, who has appeared in shows such as The 100, Supernatural, and Van Helsing. He plays Maya’s brother, who was separated from her when they were young. He is a skilled hacker and a rebel, who joins Maya in her fight against Kingpin.
What to Expect from Marvel’s Echo
Marvel’s Echo is not just a spin-off of Hawkeye, but also a standalone story that explores Maya Lopez’s character and her journey. The show will delve into her Native American roots, her family, and her destiny. Here are some of the things to expect from Marvel’s Echo:
- Maya Lopez’s journey to rediscover her Native American roots – After leaving New York and Kingpin behind, Maya returns to her hometown in Oklahoma, where she reconnects with her tribe and her culture. She learns more about her heritage, her ancestors, and her spirituality. She also discovers the meaning of the Echo symbol, which represents her identity and her power.
- Reuniting with her family – Maya also reunites with her family, who she has not seen for a long time. She meets her grandparents, her cousins, her brother, and her love interest. She also learns the truth about her father, who was killed by Kingpin. She faces some challenges and conflicts, as some of her family members are still loyal to Kingpin, while others support her. She also tries to heal the wounds of the past, and find a sense of belonging and love.
- Preparation for a war against Kingpin – Maya’s return to Oklahoma does not go unnoticed by Kingpin, who is still alive and furious. He sends his men to hunt her down, and plans to take her back or kill her. Maya has to fight for her life, and for her freedom. She also has to decide whether to kill Kingpin, or spare him. She is aided by Daredevil, who becomes her mentor and friend. He helps her hone her skills, and also warns her of the consequences of her actions.
Marvel’s Echo is a groundbreaking series that showcases the first indigenous superhero in the MCU. It is a thrilling and emotional story that follows Maya Lopez, a deaf woman who can mimic any skill she sees. She goes from being Kingpin’s protégé, to being his enemy, to being her own hero. She also goes on a journey of self-discovery, where she reconnects with her family and her culture. Marvel’s Echo is a must-watch for any Marvel fan, and anyone who loves a good action-adventure drama.