Poshmark is a popular online marketplace where you can buy and sell new or used clothing, shoes, accessories, and more. Whether you want to declutter your closet, make some extra cash, or start your own fashion business, Poshmark can help you achieve your goals. In this article, you will learn everything you need to know about selling on Poshmark, from setting up your account to shipping your orders. You will also discover some tips and tricks to boost your sales and grow your Poshmark store.
Before you start selling on Poshmark, you need to understand what Poshmark is, how it works, and who should sell on it.
What is Poshmark?
Poshmark is an online platform that connects buyers and sellers of new or used fashion items. It was founded in 2011 and has grown to become one of the largest social commerce platforms in the US, with over 70 million users and 200 million items for sale. Poshmark is more than just a marketplace, it is also a community where you can follow, like, comment, and share your style with other users.
How does Poshmark work?
Selling on Poshmark is easy and fun. All you need is a smartphone and the free Poshmark app. You can list your items in minutes by taking photos, writing descriptions, and setting prices. You can also browse and shop from millions of listings in different categories, brands, and sizes. When you make a sale, Poshmark will send you a prepaid shipping label that you can print and attach to your package. You can then drop off your package at any USPS location or schedule a free pickup. Once the buyer receives and accepts your item, you will get paid through direct deposit or Poshmark credit. Poshmark charges a flat fee of $2.95 for sales under $15 and 20% for sales of $15 or more.
Who should sell on Poshmark?
Poshmark is a great platform for anyone who loves fashion and wants to make money from their closet. You can sell anything from clothing, shoes, accessories, jewelry, makeup, and more, as long as they are in good condition and comply with Poshmark’s policies. You can also sell items from any brand, from luxury labels like Gucci and Chanel to fast-fashion brands like Zara and H&M. Poshmark is ideal for people who want to sell their own items, as well as for those who want to source and resell items from thrift stores, garage sales, or online wholesalers. Poshmark is also a good option for people who want to start or grow their own fashion business, as it provides tools and resources to help you market, manage, and scale your store.
Selling on Poshmark: Tips for Success
Selling on Poshmark can be rewarding and profitable, but it also requires some work and strategy. Here are some tips to help you succeed as a Poshmark seller:
Adopting a business mindset
If you want to make serious money on Poshmark, you need to treat it like a business, not a hobby. This means setting goals, planning ahead, tracking your progress, and investing in your store. You also need to be professional, reliable, and honest with your customers and fellow sellers. You should always provide accurate and detailed information about your items, ship your orders quickly, and respond to any questions or issues promptly. You should also follow Poshmark’s rules and best practices, and avoid any scams or frauds.
Offering great customer service
Customer service is key to building trust and loyalty on Poshmark. You want to make your buyers happy and satisfied, so they will come back and buy from you again, and also leave you positive ratings and reviews. You can offer great customer service by:
- Taking clear and attractive photos of your items, showing different angles and details
- Writing catchy and informative titles and descriptions, using keywords and hashtags
- Pricing your items fairly and competitively, considering the condition, brand, and demand
- Offering discounts and bundles, especially for repeat buyers
- Adding a personal touch, such as a thank you note, a free gift, or a custom packaging
Marketing your Poshmark store
Marketing your Poshmark store is essential to attract more buyers and increase your sales. You can market your store by:
- Sharing your listings frequently, especially during peak hours and Posh Parties
- Following and engaging with other users, especially those who have similar style or interests
- Joining and hosting Posh Parties, which are themed virtual events where you can showcase your items and discover new ones
- Promoting your store on social media, such as Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest
- Creating a blog or a YouTube channel, where you can share your style tips, hauls, reviews, or tutorials
How To Sell On Poshmark: Step-by-Step Guide
Now that you know the basics and the tips of selling on Poshmark, you are ready to start your Poshmark journey. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to sell on Poshmark:
Creating a free Poshmark account
The first step is to create a free Poshmark account. You can sign up with your email, Facebook, or Google account. You will need to choose a username, which will be your Poshmark identity and store name. You will also need to fill out your profile, which will include your name, location, size, and style preferences. You can also add a profile picture and a bio, which will help you showcase your personality and brand.
Listing items with photos and descriptions
The next step is to list your items for sale. You can do this by tapping the “Sell” button on the app and following the instructions. You will need to take photos of your items, preferably in natural light and on a plain background. You can use the app’s filters and editing tools to enhance your photos. You will also need to write a title and a description for your items, using keywords and hashtags that describe the item’s brand, style, color, size, and condition. You can also add up to 16 attributes, such as category, subcategory, and occasion, which will help your items appear in relevant searches.
Setting prices and shipping
The next step is to set the price and the shipping for your items. You can set the price based on the original price, the condition, the brand, and the demand of your items. You can also check the “sold” listings on Poshmark to see how much similar items have sold for. You can also offer discounts and bundles, which will encourage buyers to buy more from you. You will also need to choose the shipping option for your items, which will be either Poshmark’s flat rate of $7.11 for items up to 5 lbs, or your own shipping label for items over 5 lbs.
Packaging and getting paid
The final step is to package and ship your items, and get paid. Once you make a sale, Poshmark will send you a prepaid shipping label that you can print and attach to your package. You can use any box or envelope that fits your item, as long as it is clean and secure. You can also add some extra touches, such as tissue paper, stickers, or ribbons, to make your package more appealing. You can then drop off your package at any USPS location or schedule a free pickup. Once the buyer receives and accepts your item, you will get paid through direct deposit or Poshmark credit. You can also request a check, but it will take longer and cost $2.
Additional Tips for Selling on Poshmark:
- Respond to comments quickly: Show potential buyers you’re engaged and eager to answer their questions. Prompt communication builds trust and can lead to sales.
- Utilize Posh Parties: These virtual events allow you to showcase your collection and interact with potential buyers in real-time. Offer discounts or special deals to incentivize purchases.
- Sending offers to likers: Don’t wait for buyers to make the first move. Send offers to likers to spark their interest and potentially secure a sale.
- Considering Poshmark authentication: For high-value items, consider Poshmark’s authentication service for added security and buyer confidence.
- Handling returns and cancellations: Poshmark has a buyer-friendly return policy. Be familiar with the process and handle returns professionally to maintain a positive reputation.
Poshmark offers a lucrative platform for fashion enthusiasts to turn their passion into profit. By adopting a business mindset, providing excellent customer service, and utilizing the platform’s features effectively, you can build a thriving Poshmark business and unlock the hidden potential in your wardrobe. So, dust off those pre-loved pieces, embrace the entrepreneurial spirit, and get ready to join the vibrant Poshmark community!