The hard drive uses the PFN (Page Frame Number) to detect the exact location of the files on your computer. It contains a list of all the physical memory pages of the hard drive.
But if the PFN list gets corrupted, then it can result in a BSOD error. Blue Screen of Death or BSOD is one of the most annoying errors faced by several Windows users. It appears in the form of an error message “PFN_LIST_CORRUPT Blue Screen Errors (0x000004E)”.
This error occurs when the system detects that the system is unable to process it. Mostly, misconfigured device drivers are the primary reason behind this issue. Sometimes, damaged or corrupted hard drives may also lead to this issue.
Subsequently, if there are any corruptions in the memory (RAM) or Windows registry file, then these may trigger this error to appear. Due to the virus or malware infection, this error also arises.
If your computer gets stuck with the same error, then you can go through this guide to troubleshoot this error in minutes.
How to Fix PFN List Corrupt Windows 10
Here, we are going to discuss the simple troubleshooting hacks to solve the PFN list corrupt error. You can perform the methods explained below:
Solution 1: Run the BSOD Troubleshooter
You can start with the basic ones. Run the BSOD Troubleshooter to fix this error. It is an in-built utility of the Windows Operating System that has the ability to solve the PFN list corrupt error.
How to Run the BSOD Troubleshooter?
- Go to the Start menu and click on the Settings (gear-shaped) icon.
- Now, go to the ‘Update & Security’ category.
- Afterward, choose the ‘Troubleshooting’ option from the left pane of the screen.
- Next, choose the BSOD option and tap on the ‘Run the troubleshooter’ option.
- Complete the troubleshooting process by performing the on-screen prompt.
Now, if you see that the error still persists, then go to the further solutions described below.
Solution 2: Run the SFC and DISM Checker
Another tool you can use is the System File Checker to troubleshoot this error. It is an in-built command-line troubleshooting tool of the Windows Operating System that has the ability to solve the Blue Screen of Death error.
How to Run the SFC Scanner?
- Go to the Start menu and right-click on it.
- Select the ‘Command Prompt (Admin)’ option from the list. It will open the Command Prompt with admin privileges.
- Now, type “sfc /scannow” in the command line and press the Enter key from the keyboard to execute this command.
- Wait for a few seconds until it completes the scanning process.
After completing the scanning procedure, if it detects any corrupted system files, then it will repair that automatically.
If it fails to detect the damaged system files, then you can run the DISM scanner to get rid of this error. To run this, you have to run the following commands in the Command Prompt window:
1st: dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth
2nd: dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
3rd: DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:X:SourcesInstall.wim:1 /LimitAccess
Don’t forget to change the ‘X’ with the drive where you have saved the Windows installation file previously.
Solution 3: Check the Hard Drive
Sometimes, you can also face this issue if the hard drive is faulty. In this case, you can check the condition of the hard drive by using the Chkdsk command. This command scans the disk partitions and solves the potential problem of the hard drive.
How to Check the hard Driver on Windows 10?
- First and foremost, restart the computer by holding the Shift key from the keyboard.
- Tap on the ‘Advanced Startup’ option from the startup screen.
- Click on the Troubleshoot button and then go to the Advanced Options.
- Now, choose the Command Prompt option from the next page.
- Next, enter the commands given below
1st: bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd
2nd: bootrec.exe /fixmbr
3rd: bootrec.exe /fixmbr
6. Now, hit the Enter key from the keyboard to run the above commands.
According to some tech-specialists, here you can run the chkdsk command along with the above commands. To do this, run the command “chkdsk /r c:” and wait for a few seconds until the checking process completed.
Afterward, close the Command Prompt window and restart the system to apply the changes. Now, you can check if the issue is still there. Else, you can check the RAM to get rid of this issue.
Solution 4: Check the RAM
Now, you need to check the memory (RAM) for any discrepancies. RAM is an essential part of your computer and if you have any problem with it, then it can result in PFN list corrupt error. Here are the steps you need to implement:
- In the beginning, hit the R and Windows key both at the same time from the keyboard to invoke the Run Command box.
- Afterward, type “mdsched.exe” in the Run box and hit the Enter key from the keyboard to proceed.
- It will open the ‘Windows Memory Diagnostic’ window. Here you will get two options, either you can check for the problem in the next time when you turn the system on, or check for the problem by restarting the computer right now.
- Tap on the ‘Restart now and check for problems’ option.
Afterward, the system will restart and start to check for the problem. It will take a few times to complete this procedure. Don’t interfere while the process is still on-going.
If you see that the process gets stuck, don’t worry, it will restart automatically after completing the process. Now, if you see that the issue still occurs, then continue with the next method discussed below.
Solution 5: Disable Microsoft OneDrive
OneDrive also can cause the PFN List corrupt error. Hence, you can solve this by disabling the OneDrive application. Here’s how to do this:
- Press the S and Win key simultaneously and type “group policy” in the search bar. Click on the ‘Edit group policy’ from the search result.
- Once you navigate to the Local Group Policy Editor window, go to the ‘Local Computer Policy’ section and tap on the ‘Computer Configuration’ option.
- Now, select the ‘Administrative Templates’ option and then go to the ‘Windows Components’ section.
- Choose the ‘Windows Components’ from the next page and tap on the ‘OneDrive’.
- Go to the ‘Prevent the usage of OneDrive for file storage’ option and click twice on it.
- Tap on the Enabled button. Lastly, click Apply and then the OK button to deactivate the OneDrive application.
After disabling the OneDrive, you can check if the error is fixed.
All the methods that we have discussed in the above section are quite easy to perform. Hopefully, after implementing the steps it will help you to resolve all the queries regarding how to fix pfn_list_corrupt Windows 10. Further, it will help you to use Windows in a hassle-free manner.