Software development requires testing in every stage of its life cycle. The company also has to invest a lot in hiring the right resource to carry out the tasks.
Manual testing tends to be time-consuming. On the other hand, the use of automation increases speed, efficiency, and reliability. The result is high-quality products that meet market requirements.
But, It would not be possible to do away with manual testing. You will, for instance, need it for user experience (UX) tests. If you learn about automation testing, you will find that it works well for repetitive, yet time-consuming tasks.
Further, automated testing requires the use of the right tools. It can be challenging to know which ones to choose, due to the many options available. We will share with you our recommendations of some of the best.
Selenium is one of the more popular open-source automation testing tools. It finds a lot of applications in regression testing. You will also find that other software tools integrate the functionalities it offers.
Selenium is easy to set up. All you need to do is add the relevant plug-in. It has some fantastic features that can prove beneficial to the testing process.
- You can use it on different operating systems and browsers
- It is compatible with many testing frameworks
- This tool is applicable on different operating systems like Linux, Windows, and Mac
- It also allows for use with various programming languages like Python, Ruby, and Java
- You get efficiency because you can run many/parallel tests at once
- There is no need to learn test scripting languages. This is because it has a playback tool recording for functional tests
- Selenium provides web browsing automation. You achieve different efficiency and speed levels. You cannot get the same with manual testing.
Ranorex operates on a codeless interface that is click and go. It makes it easy to use, even for beginners. More advanced level uses have access to full IDE for VB.Net, open APIs, and C#. Automation testing is applicable on desktop, mobile, and web applications.
It allows for the complete automation of data-driven tests. Others are functional UI tests and regression tests.
Some of its features include:-
- Cross-browser and cross-platform secure testing
- Integration with tools like Jenkins, Jira, and Travis
- Applicable on Android and iOS operating systems
- Local or remote test capabilities
- Reliable object identification. It applies even where there are dynamic ids for web elements
- Customizable test reports, including video reporting
- Robust reporting features that are customizable. Others are video reporting, and so much more
TestComplete allows for testing on different web, desktop, and mobile applications. The codeless or coded test creations make it easy to use. Even those without technical knowledge will not face difficulties using it.
Automation testing tools provide support for data-driven, regression, and distributed testing. Some of the notable features include:-
- Recording or playback functionalities for codeless and coded testing
- Applicable across different enterprises like Oracle, Salesforce, and SAP
- TestComplete works on mobile, desktop, and web application testing
- You can run cloud or local device parallel UI tests
- It allows for the reuse of scripts
- You can test more than 1,500 real test scenarios
- Integrates with the different tools in your system. You can test every step of the whole development cycle.
4. Katalon Studio
Katalon Studio is applicable on Windows, Linux, or macOS. It allows for the testing of mobile apps, web, or APIs. You can create test cases, generate scripts, and execute tests.
The tool also generates reports every time you run any test. Best of all, users do not need to have a lot of programming skills to use it.
Other notable features include:-
- It is compatible with Appium and Selenium, allowing for deployment across different frameworks
- Users find support for RESTful and SOAP for service testing and API
- You can use it for exploratory or automated testing
- It is an open-source tool meaning it is free
- Creating test cases is easy with the use of the in-built keywords
- The scripting language is Groovy, but you can also use Java
- Integrates with continuous integration systems like Bamboo, TeamCity, and Jenkins.
TestArchitect uses codeless testing. It makes it ideal for those who do not have any technical knowledge. It uses keyword-driven testing making it efficient and less costly to maintain.
Other features you need to know include:-
- Intuitive IDE spreadsheets like Excel
- You can use it on different platforms such as mobile, web, API, and Vision testing
- Users can run tests on different operating systems. Such include Linux, Middle, Android, Windows, macOS, and iOS
- It allows for integration with DevOps tools like Azure DevOps, Jenkins, and TFS.
You can use the cloud-based SauceLabs on more than 700 browsers. It also does not limit the devices and operating systems.
Users can run both manual and automated testing for desktop and mobile apps. It integrates with other tools like selenium, making it a robust automation tool.
Some of the other features include:-
- It allows for continuous testing and integration
The cloud-based LambdaTest allows for test applications across different browsers. You can also use it on various devices and operating systems. It also allows for integration with selenium scripts on the Selenium Grid. The processes are secure and generate reliable results.
Some of the noteworthy features include:-
- Fast and seamless test execution
- Cross-browser testing on more than 2,000 browsers
- Chrome and WordPress extension that helps with web app testing
- Parallel test case capabilities
- Automatic generation of screenshots and APIs
- Integration tools like GitHub, Trello, Asana, and Jira. It also works with different CI/CD executions, communication, and project management tools
- LambdaTest allows for local and geolocation testing of websites
- Users get support for major frameworks and languages
Getting the right test automation tool is critical. We have shared some that are worth considering. But, there are many more options available.
It is essential to do your research well before you make a final decision. Take the time to read user reviews so that you know exactly what you are getting.