Wesley Crusher was one of the main characters in Star Trek: The Next Generation, the son of Dr. Beverly Crusher and a prodigy in science and engineering. He left the show in the seventh season to explore the galaxy with a mysterious alien race called the Travelers. But what happened to him after that, and why did he leave in the first place? This article will explore Wesley’s journey in Star Trek, the reasons behind his departure, and the possibility of his return in the future.
Wesley Crusher’s Journey in Star Trek
Wesley Crusher was introduced in the first episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation as a 15-year-old boy who lived on the USS Enterprise-D with his mother, the chief medical officer. He soon became fascinated by the ship and its crew, especially Captain Jean-Luc Picard, who became his mentor and father figure.
- Joining Starfleet Academy: Wesley had a dream of becoming a Starfleet officer, and he applied to the prestigious Starfleet Academy several times. He was accepted in the fourth season, but he deferred his admission to stay on the Enterprise and help with a mission. He finally joined the Academy in the fifth season, where he made friends and enemies, and faced various challenges and temptations.
- Bond with Captain Picard: Wesley had a close relationship with Picard, who saw him as a son and a protégé. Picard encouraged Wesley to pursue his interests and talents, and also taught him valuable lessons about leadership, responsibility, and morality. Picard was also the one who gave Wesley his first field promotion to acting ensign, and later to full ensign.
- Becoming a Traveler: Wesley’s most remarkable trait was his exceptional ability to understand and manipulate space and time, which attracted the attention of a mysterious alien race called the Travelers. The Travelers were beings who could transcend the physical realm and explore the infinite possibilities of the universe. One of them, named Kosinski, befriended Wesley and revealed to him his true potential. In the seventh season, Wesley decided to leave Starfleet and join the Travelers, who offered him a chance to explore his destiny and the secrets of existence.
Why Wesley Left Star Trek
Wesley’s departure from Star Trek was not only a plot decision, but also a personal choice by the actor who played him, Wil Wheaton.
- Actor Wil Wheaton’s reasons: Wheaton was only 14 years old when he joined the cast of Star Trek: The Next Generation, and he faced a lot of pressure and criticism from the fans and the media. He felt that his character was poorly written and underused, and that he was not given enough creative freedom and respect. He also wanted to pursue other acting opportunities and projects, and to have a normal life outside of Star Trek. He decided to leave the show in the seventh season, but he agreed to make a few guest appearances afterwards.
- Character’s departure from the show: Wesley’s departure from the show was explained in the episode “Journey’s End”, where he joined the Travelers. The episode was part of a story arc that dealt with the conflict between the Federation and the Native American colonists on Dorvan V, a planet that was ceded to the Cardassians in a treaty. Wesley sympathized with the colonists, who refused to leave their ancestral home, and he helped them resist the Federation’s orders. He also learned that he was part of an ancient prophecy that foretold the arrival of a young man who would guide the people to a new way of life. Wesley realized that he did not belong to Starfleet or the Federation, and that he had a different path to follow. He accepted Kosinski’s invitation to join the Travelers, and he said goodbye to his mother and Picard.
What Happened to Wesley After Leaving Star Trek
After leaving Star Trek, Wesley continued his journey with the Travelers, but he also kept in touch with his friends and family. He also appeared in other Star Trek projects, both on-screen and off-screen.
- Other acting projects: Wheaton pursued other acting roles after leaving Star Trek, such as in the films Stand by Me, Toy Soldiers, and Flubber. He also appeared in several TV shows, such as The Big Bang Theory, where he played a fictionalized version of himself, and The Guild, where he played the villainous Fawkes. He also voiced several characters in animated shows, such as Aqualad in Teen Titans, and Darkstar in Ben 10. He also became a prominent voice actor in video games, such as in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, Fallout: New Vegas, and Minecraft: Story Mode.
- Personal life updates: Wheaton married Anne Prince in 1999, and they have two sons, Nolan and Ryan. He is also an avid blogger, podcaster, and writer, who has published several books, such as Just a Geek, Dancing Barefoot, and The Happiest Days of Our Lives. He is also a fan of board games, and he hosts a web series called TableTop, where he plays various games with his friends and celebrities. He is also a supporter of various causes, such as mental health awareness, animal rights, and LGBTQ+ rights.
Speculations on Wesley’s Return in Star Trek: Picard Season 3
Wesley has not appeared in any Star Trek project since the film Star Trek: Nemesis, where he had a brief cameo at the wedding of Riker and Troi. However, there are some rumors and hints that he might return in the third season of Star Trek: Picard, the spin-off series that follows the adventures of Picard after his retirement from Starfleet.
- Wil Wheaton’s cameo in Season 2: Wheaton confirmed that he will make a cameo appearance in the second season of Star Trek: Picard, which is set to premiere in 2024. He did not reveal any details about his role, but he said that he was very excited and honored to be part of the show. He also said that he had a great time working with Patrick Stewart, who plays Picard, and that they had a lot of fun together. He also hinted that his cameo might be related to his character Wesley, but he did not confirm or deny it.
- Possibility of a future appearance in the show: Wheaton also expressed his interest and willingness to reprise his role as Wesley in the future, if the opportunity arises. He said that he would love to explore what Wesley has been doing with the Travelers, and how he has changed and grown over the years. He also said that he would love to reunite with his former co-stars, such as Gates McFadden, who plays his mother Beverly, and who will also appear in the second season of Star Trek: Picard. He also said that he would love to see how Wesley and Picard would interact, and what kind of relationship they would have after so many years.
Wesley Crusher was one of the most iconic and controversial characters in Star Trek: The Next Generation, and his departure from the show was a major turning point for both the character and the actor. Wesley’s journey in Star Trek was full of challenges, discoveries, and transformations, and he left a lasting impression on the fans and the franchise. His fate after leaving Star Trek remains a mystery, but there is a chance that he might return in the third season of Star Trek: Picard, and reveal what he has been doing with the Travelers, and how he has evolved as a person and as a traveler. Until then, Wesley Crusher remains one of the most beloved and intriguing characters in Star Trek history.