In the Season 1 finale of “The Way Home,” titled “Not All Who Wander Are Lost,” Jacob Landry, who disappeared in 1999 and was presumed dead, is revealed to be alive. He followed his family dog, Finn, into a pond and unexpectedly time-traveled to 1814, mirroring the journey of his niece, Alice Dhawan, who traveled back to the 1990s through the same pond.
Recap of Jacob’s Disappearance in “The Way Home”
Jacob Landry was Kat and Cole’s younger brother, who vanished in 1999 when he was 12 years old. He was last seen following the family dog Finn to the pond, where he presumably fell in and drowned. His body was never found, and his disappearance shattered the family and the town of Port Haven. Kat blamed herself for not watching over him and moved away from her mother Del and the farm. Del became depressed and isolated, and Cole died in a car accident a few years later.
However, in the season one finale, it was revealed that Jacob did not die, but was transported back in time to 1814, where he met Elijah, a young man who helped him survive in the wilderness. Jacob also learned that he was not the first time traveler in his family and that his ancestor Katherine Landry had also used the pond to escape from an abusive husband in 1814. Jacob decided to stay in the past and protect Katherine, who was pregnant with his great-great-grandfather.
Meanwhile, in the present, Kat and her daughter Alice returned to the farm after Kat’s divorce and layoff. Alice discovered she could time travel through the pond, and met Elliot, a high school teacher who was also a time traveler and a descendant of Elijah. Kat and Alice also reconnected with Del, who revealed that she knew about the pond and its secrets. Together, they tried to find out what happened to Jacob and learned that he was still alive in 1814.
Fans’ Reactions and Theories about Jacob’s Fate
The Way Home has a loyal fan base, who have been eagerly awaiting the resolution of Jacob’s storyline. Many fans have expressed their emotions and opinions on social media, using hashtags like #BringJacobHome and #TeamJacob. Some of the common reactions and theories are:
- Fans are happy that Jacob is alive, but sad that he had to grow up without his family and in a different era. They hope that he will be reunited with them somehow, either by returning to the present or by meeting them in the past.
- Fans are curious about Jacob’s relationship with Katherine, and whether he is in love with her or sees her as a sister. They also wonder how his presence will affect the history of his family and the town.
- Fans are divided over whether Jacob should stay in 1814 or come back to the present. Some argue that he belongs in the past, where he has found a purpose and a family. Others argue that he deserves a chance to live in the present, where he can have a better life and reconnect with his loved ones.
- Fans are intrigued by the possibility of a crossover with another Hallmark series, Sullivan’s Crossing, which is set in the same town of Port Haven, but in the present day. They speculate that some of the characters from Sullivan’s Crossing might be related to Jacob or Katherine and that they might encounter them through the pond.
What We Know About “The Way Home” Season 2
Hallmark Channel has renewed The Way Home for a second season, which premiered on January 21, 2024. The season will consist of 10 episodes and will continue the story of Kat, Alice, Del, Elliot, and Jacob. According to the official synopsis, season two will explore the following themes and plotlines:
- Kat and Elliot will deepen their romance while facing new challenges and dangers in their time-traveling adventures.
- Alice struggles with her identity and her feelings for Spencer, a boy from her school who is also a time traveler and a descendant of Katherine.
- Del will rediscover her passion for writing and will try to pass the baton to Kat, who is hesitant to take over the family soap opera.
- Jacob will face a new threat in 1814, as a ruthless bounty hunter named Byron Groff arrives in Port Haven, looking for Katherine and her baby. Jacob will also encounter a mysterious woman named Zoey, who claims to be from the future.
- The season will also introduce new characters, such as Rita Richards, a journalist who investigates the secrets of Port Haven, and Jude, a rebellious teenager who befriends Alice.
The season is expected to conclude in March 2024, and will hopefully answer some of the burning questions that fans have about Jacob and his fate.