Madonna is one of the most influential and successful pop stars of all time. She has been making music for over four decades, reinventing herself and breaking boundaries with her style, sound, and vision. But how old is Madonna and what is her net worth in 2023? In this article, we will explore Madonna’s life and career, from her humble beginnings to her global fame and fortune. We will also reveal some fun facts and trivia about the Queen of Pop.
Life and Career Overview
Early life and upbringing
Madonna was born Madonna Louise Ciccone on August 16, 1958, in Bay City, Michigan. She was the third of six children of Silvio Anthony Ciccone, an Italian-American engineer, and Madonna Louise Fortin, a French-Canadian nurse. Madonna’s mother died of breast cancer when she was only five years old, leaving a deep emotional scar on her. Madonna was raised as a Catholic and attended Catholic schools, where she excelled academically and artistically. She developed a passion for dance and music, and received a scholarship to study dance at the University of Michigan.
Career beginnings and early success
Madonna dropped out of college in 1978 and moved to New York City with only $35 in her pocket. She worked as a waitress, a model, and a dancer, while pursuing her dream of becoming a singer. She joined several bands, such as Breakfast Club and Emmy, before signing a solo deal with Sire Records in 1982. Her debut single, “Everybody”, was a club hit, followed by her self-titled debut album in 1983. Madonna’s breakthrough came with her second album, Like a Virgin (1984), which spawned the iconic title track and other hits like “Material Girl” and “Into the Groove”. The album sold over 20 million copies worldwide and established Madonna as a pop sensation.
Madonna’s popularity soared in the mid-1980s, as she released more successful albums, such as True Blue (1986) and Like a Prayer (1989), and starred in movies, such as Desperately Seeking Susan (1985) and Who’s That Girl (1987). She also became known for her controversial and provocative image, which challenged the norms of sexuality, religion, and gender. She sparked controversy with her music videos, such as “Like a Prayer”, which featured burning crosses and a black Jesus; her live performances, such as the Blond Ambition Tour (1990), which featured simulated masturbation; and her book Sex (1992), which featured explicit photographs of herself and others.
Madonna’s impact and legacy in the music industry
Madonna continued to reinvent herself and experiment with different genres and styles throughout the 1990s and 2000s. She collaborated with acclaimed producers, such as William Orbit, Mirwais Ahmadzaï, Stuart Price, Timbaland, Pharrell Williams, Diplo, Avicii, and Kanye West. She released critically acclaimed albums, such as Ray of Light (1998), Music (2000), Confessions on a Dance Floor (2005), Hard Candy (2008), MDNA (2012), Rebel Heart (2015), and Madame X (2019). She also ventured into directing films, such as Filth and Wisdom (2008) and W.E. (2011).
Madonna is widely regarded as one of the most influential artists of all time. She has sold over 300 million records worldwide, making her the best-selling female artist in history. She has won seven Grammy Awards, two Golden Globe Awards, an Academy Award nomination, among many other accolades. She has been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, the Songwriters Hall of Fame, the UK Music Hall of Fame, among others. She has been ranked by Billboard as the greatest dance artist of all time, by Rolling Stone as one of the 100 Greatest Artists of All Time and by VH1 as one of the 100 Greatest Women in Music.
Madonna has also inspired countless artists across genres and generations, such as Lady Gaga, Britney Spears, Beyoncé, Rihanna, Katy Perry, Miley Cyrus, Ariana Grande, Billie Eilish, and many more. She has also used her fame and fortune to support various causes, such as AIDS awareness, children’s education, women’s rights, LGBTQ+ rights, and environmental issues. She has founded two charitable organizations: Raising Malawi, which helps orphans and vulnerable children in Malawi; and Ray of Light Foundation, which supports projects around the world that promote social justice, education, and health.
Relationships and marriages
Madonna has had several high-profile relationships throughout her life. Some of her notable partners include:
- Sean Penn: Madonna married the actor in 1985 after meeting him on the set of the film Shanghai Surprise. They divorced in 1989 amid rumors of abuse and infidelity.
- Warren Beatty: Madonna dated the actor and director in 1990 after co-starring with him in the film Dick Tracy. They broke up after a year.
- Carlos Leon: Madonna had a brief affair with the personal trainer in 1995, which resulted in the birth of her first child, Lourdes Maria Ciccone Leon, in 1996. They split up in 1997.
- Guy Ritchie: Madonna married the British filmmaker in 2000 after meeting him through mutual friends. They had a son, Rocco John Ritchie, in 2000, and adopted a boy, David Banda Mwale Ciccone Ritchie, from Malawi in 2006. They divorced in 2008.
- Jesus Luz: Madonna dated the Brazilian model and DJ in 2008 after meeting him on a photo shoot. They broke up in 2010.
- Brahim Zaibat: Madonna dated the French dancer and choreographer in 2010 after meeting him at a nightclub. They broke up in 2013.
- Timor Steffens: Madonna dated the Dutch dancer and choreographer in 2014 after meeting him at a party. They broke up later that year.
- Kevin Sampaio: Madonna dated the Portuguese model and actor in 2017 after meeting him on the set of her music video for “Bitch I’m Madonna”. They broke up in 2018.
- Ahlamalik Williams: Madonna is currently dating the American dancer and choreographer, who is part of her Madame X Tour crew. They have been together since 2019.
Madonna has six children, four of whom are adopted from Malawi. They are:
- Lourdes Maria Ciccone Leon (born October 14, 1996): Madonna’s eldest daughter, who goes by Lola, is a model, singer, and fashion designer. She is the co-founder of the clothing line Material Girl with her mother.
- Rocco John Ritchie (born August 11, 2000): Madonna’s eldest son, who goes by Rocco, is a DJ and model. He lives with his father Guy Ritchie in London.
- David Banda Mwale Ciccone Ritchie (born September 24, 2005): Madonna’s second son, who goes by David, is an aspiring soccer player. He was adopted from Malawi in 2006.
- Mercy James Ciccone (born January 22, 2006): Madonna’s second daughter, who goes by Mercy, is a dancer and singer. She was adopted from Malawi in 2009.
- Estere Ciccone and Stelle Ciccone (born August 24, 2012): Madonna’s third daughter and fourth daughter, who go by Estere and Stelle, are twins who were adopted from Malawi in 2017.
Breakdown of Madonna’s wealth and sources of income
Madonna’s net worth is estimated to be around $850 million as of 2023, making her one of the richest singers and celebrities in the world. Her wealth comes from various sources, such as:
- Music sales: Madonna has sold over 300 million records worldwide, earning her royalties and profits from her albums and singles. She also owns the rights to most of her songs, which generate income from licensing and streaming.
- Tours: Madonna is one of the highest-grossing touring artists of all time, having performed over 1,000 shows in more than 60 countries. Her tours have grossed over $1.5 billion since 1990, according to Billboard Boxscore. Her most successful tour was the Sticky & Sweet Tour (2008-2009), which grossed $408 million from 85 shows.
- Merchandise: Madonna has a loyal fan base that buys her merchandise, such as T-shirts, posters, books, DVDs, and perfumes. She also has her own clothing line, Material Girl, which she launched with her daughter Lourdes in 2010.
- Endorsements: Madonna has endorsed various brands and products over the years, such as Pepsi, H&M, Dolce & Gabbana, Versace, Louis Vuitton, and MDNA Skin, earning her millions of dollars from sponsorship deals.
- Films: Madonna has appeared in over 20 films as an actress, such as Desperately Seeking Susan, Evita, and A League of Their Own, earning her box office revenue and awards. She has also directed two films, Filth and Wisdom and W.E., earning her critical acclaim and festival recognition.
- Investments: Madonna has invested her money wisely in various ventures, such as real estate, art, stocks, and startups. She owns several properties around the world, such as mansions in New York, Los Angeles, London, and Portugal and a castle in Scotland. She also owns a collection of valuable art pieces, such as paintings by Picasso, Frida Kahlo, and Tamara de Lempicka. She has also invested in companies like Vita Coco, Snapchat, and StockX, earning her returns and equity.
Comparison to other top artists
Madonna is one of the richest and most successful artists in the world, but how does she compare to other top artists? Here are some comparisons based on their net worths as of 2023, according to Celebrity Net Worth:
- Madonna ($850 million) vs Paul McCartney ($1.2 billion): Paul McCartney is the richest musician in the world, thanks to his legendary career as a member of The Beatles and a solo artist. He also owns the rights to thousands of songs, including his own and those of other artists. Madonna is the second richest musician in the world, and the richest female musician.
- Madonna ($850 million) vs Rihanna ($600 million): Rihanna is the richest female singer in the world, thanks to her music career and her successful ventures in fashion and beauty. She is the founder of Fenty Beauty, Fenty Skin, Fenty x Savage, and Fenty Fashion House. Madonna is the second richest female singer in the world, and the richest female musician.
- Madonna ($850 million) vs Beyoncé ($500 million): Beyoncé is one of the most influential and powerful singers in the world, thanks to her music career as a solo artist and a member of Destiny’s Child. She is also a businesswoman, who owns Parkwood Entertainment, Ivy Park, and other ventures. Madonna is richer than Beyoncé by $350 million.
- Madonna ($850 million) vs Taylor Swift ($400 million): Taylor Swift is one of the most popular and successful singers in the world, thanks to her music career that spans across genres such as country, pop, and folk. She is also a songwriter, who owns the rights to most of her songs. Madonna is richer than Taylor Swift by $450 million.
Quirks and surprising facts about Madonna
Madonna is not only a talented and wealthy artist, but also a fascinating and quirky person. Here are some fun facts about her that you may not know:
- Madonna’s full name is Madonna Louise Veronica Ciccone. She was named after her mother, who was named after the Virgin Mary. Her middle name Veronica comes from her confirmation name, which she chose after Saint Veronica.
- Madonna has a rare condition called brontophobia, which means she is afraid of thunder and lightning. She once said that she would rather be run over by a train than experience a thunderstorm.
- Madonna is fluent in five languages: English, Spanish, French, Italian, and Hebrew. She learned Spanish from her ex-husband Carlos Leon, French from her ex-husband Guy Ritchie, Italian from her father’s side of the family, and Hebrew from studying Kabbalah.
- Madonna has 11 tattoos on her body, but they are all hidden or temporary. They include: a star on her left hand; an H on her right wrist; an R on her left wrist; an M on her lower back; a K on her left shoulder; a cross on her right shoulder; an A on her right ankle; a V on her left ankle; a Hebrew phrase on her right arm; a Sanskrit phrase on her left arm; and a butterfly on her stomach.
- Madonna has a Guinness World Record for the most costume changes in a film. She changed outfits 85 times in Evita (1996), beating Elizabeth Taylor’s previous record of 65 changes in Cleopatra (1963).
Significant milestones and achievements
Madonna has achieved many milestones and achievements throughout her life and career. Here are some of them:
- Madonna is the most successful solo artist in the history of the US Billboard Hot 100 chart. She has had 12 number-one singles, 38 top-ten singles, and 50 top-forty singles on the chart. She also holds the record for the most number-one singles by a female artist on any Billboard chart, with 50 number-one singles on the Dance Club Songs chart.
- Madonna is the highest-grossing solo touring artist of all time, according to Billboard Boxscore. She has grossed over $1.5 billion from her live concerts since 1990, surpassing Bruce Springsteen, Elton John, and U2. She also holds the record for the highest-grossing tour by a female artist, with the Sticky & Sweet Tour (2008-2009), which grossed $408 million.
- Madonna is the most awarded female artist of all time, according to Guinness World Records. She has won over 300 awards from various organizations, such as Grammy Awards, MTV Video Music Awards, American Music Awards, Billboard Music Awards, Golden Globe Awards, and Brit Awards. She also holds the record for the most MTV Video Music Awards by any artist, with 20 awards.
- Madonna is the most influential female artist of all time, according to Time magazine. She was named one of the 100 Most Influential People in the World in 2008, and one of the 25 Most Powerful Women of the Past Century in 2010. She was also ranked number one on VH1’s list of 100 Greatest Women in Music in 2012, and number two on Rolling Stone’s list of 100 Greatest Artists of All Time in 2010.
Madonna is a living legend who has shaped the music industry and pop culture for over four decades. She is a singer, songwriter, producer, actress, director, author, entrepreneur, philanthropist, and icon. She is also a mother, a lover, a rebel, and a survivor. She is the Queen of Pop, and she is not slowing down anytime soon. She is Madonna, and she is 65 years old and worth $850 million in 2023.