If your main emails are being sent to the spam folder or to unwanted spam messages are being sent to your Yahoo Mail account’s box folder, it is probably because of problems at the end of Yahoo, or some recent adjustment made by you, that your Yahoo Mail Spam filter doesn’t work. Well, whatever the explanation is, some of the following workarounds will help you solve the Yahoo Mail Spam filter not working.
Steps to Fix – Yahoo Mail Spam Filter Not Working
Fix 1: Mark the Email as Not Spam
If you have incorrectly sent a genuine email from a reliable sender in your Yahoo Mail account to the spam folder, the first thing you need to do in this case is to mark the sent email as not spam. You must obey these instructions for this purpose.
- Sign in to your Yahoo Mail account on a supported web browser.
- Next, you will need to click on the Spam option located in the left-hand side panel of your account’s page.
Note: You first need to click on the More option to expand the list when you do not see the spam folder mentioned on the left panel. You can find the spam option in the More section.
- You must find the e-mail which is wrongly sent to your account while you’re in the spam folder.
- You have to right-click on the email after finding the email. The menu on your computer will open.
- You will need to pick the Not Spam option from the menu that appears on your phone. Your inbox folder returns your password.
NOTE: Alternatively, you can also mark an email as not spam by opening the message and clicking on the Not spam option provided in the upper section.
Fix 2: Mark the Unwanted Emails as Spam
Though the Yahoo spam filter collects most spam messages, emails slip through occasionally. You can prevent this by labeling it as spam if you find such an unsolicited e-mail in your Yahoo mailbox. Follow these steps to know how to label an email as spam.
- Go to the folder you have the unwanted email in your Yahoo Mail account.
- Locate the email that was wrongly sent to your account in the folder.
- Right-click on it after you locate the email. That way, the menu on your display will open.
- Select the Spam option from the menu on your phone. The email is sent to the folder for spam.
NOTE: Alternatively, you can also mark an email as spam by opening the message and clicking on the Spam option provided in the upper section.
Fix 3: Block the Sender
The e-mail address of the sending party may also be blocked to avoid unwanted e-mails being sent to your Yahoo Mailbox. To do this, take the following steps:
- Click on the Settings option (gear icon) located near the upper right corner of the window.
- From the menu that appears below the Settings option, click on the More settings option.
- In the More Settings section, click on the Security and privacy option.
- Under the Security and privacy section, click on the + Add option located next to the Blocked addresses option.
- In the provided field, enter the email address of the sender you wish to block and click on the Save button.
- The sender will be blocked from sending emails to your account.
Also check How to Fix Discord Can’t Unmute Issue
Fix 4: Check Filters in Your Account
You will need to check the Yahoo filter guidelines if you have built a filter that will avoid spam emails in your Yahoo Mail account. These instructions are available below:
NOTE: If you want missed mail, first search the spam folder, since all emails pass the spam filter before passing through other filters.
When you have generated an empty filter that contains no rules, it will work as follows:
- Emails sent to the inbox will be routed via an email with an empty character.
- If the empty filter is at the top of the filter list, all other filters’ rules are revoked and emails are sent to the Inbox.
- A filter will apply all of the rules you configure to identify which mail to filter.
- It is best to create 2 filters if you wish to filter all emails that contain criteria 1 or criteria 2.
- As filters are added as they appear on the list, you may need to adjust the order using the up and down arrows.
- A competing filter must not be above a filter that does not work.
- Don’t use negative criteria such as “does not contain” or “begins with” positive criteria.
Filter limitations for POP accounts
- If a Mail client is using POP, it will download an email from the Inbox folder only.
- Filters for other folders will not allow your mail client to download emails from them.
Filter limitations for IMAP accounts
- Filters will not be functional on third-party mailboxes you IMAP in.
- Filters will function on aliases/disposable email addresses.