Generally, a laptop shows a warning when its battery is about to die or has already passed out. Replacing the battery might require some time. Meanwhile, you might have to be completely idle. Since you charge the laptop’s battery with the AC power supply, then a question might pop up in your mind.
Can you use a laptop without a battery? You might be curious to learn whether you can make your computer still work with the help of only the AC power adapter and if there’s no battery installed.
Let’s find out the answer and its pros and cons in this guide.
Can You Use a Laptop without the Battery?
The answer is yes; it’s possible for your laptop to run and usually work without the battery. Make sure that you connect the laptop’s power adapter to the system, and your laptop should turn on and work like any other computer.
Can you use a laptop without a battery? Yes, you can, as long as you keep the power adapter plugged into your laptop.
Unplugging the laptop from the power adapter by any means or accident will turn off your laptop. As a result, your laptop will lose all the unsaved work or data. On the other hand, the laptop will have to sacrifice its portability for the sake of power. You need to keep your laptop always connected to the power supply.
This means that you can barely move your laptop from your desk or the power source. However, it’s mandatory to remove the dead or malfunctioning battery from your laptop. And, you might have to use your laptop before you get the battery replaced. So you should use the original laptop charger to keep your laptop awake.
Helpful Guide: Top 9 Reasons Your Laptop is Running Slow & Solutions
Why Can I Still Use a Laptop without the Battery?
As you already know, the battery is the USP of any laptop. Then, how is it possible for a laptop to work without its battery? If this question troubles you, then the answer lies here.
First, you need to understand how power management works for a laptop.
Here’s what you need to follow for a Windows laptop to learn about your laptop’s battery management:
- Explore the Start menu and type ‘device manager’. You need to open the Device Manager.
- Look for Batteries and expand them. You can notice 2 options, and they are
- Microsoft AC Adapter – This driver controls the power coming from the AC adapter when you connect your laptop to the AC power supply.
- Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery – This indicates the driver that controls the power drawn by the installed battery. Additionally, the driver takes care of how the operating system will manage the power it gets from the connected battery.
Therefore, your laptop has 2 different methods to power the device and manage the power supply. Your laptop can use either the power adapter or the battery to charge itself. On the other hand, it’s possible to disable the driver that controls the battery’s power management.
Can you still use a laptop without a battery? Yes, you can if the device stays connected to the power adapter. There should be no hiccup when your laptop misses its battery and connects to its AC adapter.
Pros and Cons of Using a Laptop without Battery
Basically, it causes no harm when you use a laptop without a battery. The laptop should run smoothly until the AC adapter doesn’t get unplugged or loose enough.
Let’s check out the pros and cons of using laptop without battery to stay on the safe side:
Benefits of Using a Laptop without its Battery
It’s mandatory to remove your laptop’s battery if it has gone through lots of wear and tear. Your laptop might show you a false alarm if there’s an internal complication. In that case, you should take an expert’s opinion before replacing the laptop’s battery.
Can you use a laptop without the battery? Since you can do that with the power adapter plugged in, here are some pros of using the laptop without the battery:
- The malfunctioning or dead battery might harm your laptop’s other counterparts. Hence, you can prevent it by using the laptop without the battery.
- Additionally, you can detach the battery sometimes to restrict the battery from getting overheated and becoming exhausted. Using the laptop without the battery might give your battery better performance and longevity.
Disadvantages of Using a Laptop Without Battery
Apart from the above-mentioned pros, using your laptop without its battery might result in a few cons too.
Here’s what you need to consider when it comes to the cons of using laptop without battery:
- If you intend to store your laptop’s battery for a longer period, then it might deteriorate your battery’s performance and life.
- Moreover, your laptop misses the most crucial power equipment, which is its battery.
- Your laptop relies on the AC adapter only.
- It’s almost impossible to get enough portability when your laptop stays connected to the AC adapter.
- A loose connection between the laptop and the power adapter might interrupt the overall charging procedure. This might risk the data of your laptop, and your laptop is prone to lose its data.
- Battery-detachable laptops get their battery pins exposed with their batteries removed. Thus, those pins can get damaged without the battery.
Can You Use a Laptop without the Battery?
As you see, Windows laptops can run on the AC adapter and without the battery installed. However, can we still use a Mac computer without its battery?
You have to keep in mind that not every laptop is created equally. Experts find it risky to run a Mac device only on its power adapter and without its dedicated battery.
If your Mac computer works without its battery, you will notice a drastic change in its performance. macOS will identify that there’s no battery, and it will underclock the processor. No doubt, it will affect your computer’s performance, and you will have to deal with a much slower computer.
How Can I Still Use a Laptop without the Battery?
So far, you have checked how a Windows laptop manages its power and battery. In addition, you have learned all the pros and cons of using a laptop without a battery. However, it’s better not to use a Mac computer or laptop without its battery.
Well, how can you use a laptop without a battery? There are a few rules that you should follow for your laptop’s health. Note down the following tricks to use your laptop safely without its battery:
- You must use only the original power adapter and charging cable when your laptop lacks its battery. Otherwise, an incompatible power adapter can damage your laptop’s CPU, RAM, motherboard, and more.
- Opt for a UPS or power backup component to prevent the side effects of power outages.
- Ensure that the connection between the laptop and the power adapter remains strong. Or else your laptop might encounter a data loss.
- Don’t touch the battery pin slots when there’s no battery installed. Touching the power connector might give you an electric shock.
Is it Safe to Use Your Laptop without a Battery?
Overall, it might seem safe to use your laptop without its battery. However, can you use your laptop without the battery, especially when it’s a Mac device? It’s better to get a replacement and compatible laptop battery as soon as possible. The same applies to a Windows laptop. Otherwise, you might encounter different issues, given the circumstances.