Seeking legal advice from renowned and licensed lawyers is mandatory in some situations. Not to mention, it will cost you a lot, and you might need the right type of insurance or credit card to easily cover this type of expenses. How to ask a lawyer a question for free? Here, online legal services may be the right option.
Online legal services might benefit you in terms of cost and faster accessibility. Yes, there are dedicated websites that let you hire an attorney virtually, and you will amazed to see how instant these services can be. You can take a piece of legal advice or get the to-the-point answer to your legal query for free from these sites.
They won’t cost you anything. Apart from such legal websites, you can drop your questions on community forums such as Twitter, Quora, Reddit, etc. You can expect licensed attorneys on that platform to reply to your queries.
Let’s get started with the most acclaimed websites for free legal services:
Best Websites for Free Legal Services
Can I get free legal advice online? Different acknowledged lawyer forums offer advice over civil proceedings, criminal offences, legal notice from business partners, and more. We have mentioned the best choices to get legal assistance for free or negligible charges at your fingertips.
This is the right platform to get your legal queries addressed straightforwardly. This award-winning website offers immediate help in the following expertise:
- Estate planning
- Banking law
- Family law
- Federal crime
- Guardianship law
- Life insurance
- Copyright application
- Constitutional law and more
So, consider Avvo and its incredible legal services if you require guidance in these practice areas. How fast is Avvo? Reportedly, you can expect your query to be answered in less than 12 hours.
How to ask a lawyer for free legal advice on Avvo? You have to fill in the provided online form alongside providing relevant information. You can expect an attorney in your city and state to come up and answer your questions. Apart from this, Avvo is one of the best websites for legal help as it encourages you to take a follow-up.
However, here are some noted pros of Avvo:
- You are free to post your query and get multiple answers.
- Lawyers generally provide answers in a few hours.
- You don’t have to pay for follow-up questions.
- This platform has listed attorneys from all over the nation.
On a contrary note, here are some drawbacks of Avvo:
- If it’s a complicated case, you might have to find a lawyer after some time.
- Your queries are open to the public eye.
- Avvo contains too many ads.
2. ABA Free Legal Answers
Another popular lawyer forum is ABA Free Legal Answers, where you don’t have to use your credit card or money. The Public Service of the American Bar Association and a Standing Committee project on Pro Bon handle this virtual legal forum. This works in a similar way to Avvo.
On the other hand, every participating state represents their lawyers on specific web pages. So, you need to post your legal question, which will cost you nothing. Just navigate to the correct state’s website and post your query. However, you must qualify for posting your civil legal questions on ABA Free Legal Answers. Basically, this website was designed for low-income individuals.
Check out the eligibility criteria for free lawyer advice online through this website:
- The user should be an adult.
- It’s not applicable if the user is serving a criminal sentence.
- ABA Free Legal Answers doesn’t hold practice in criminal law matters.
- The user must qualify for the mentioned financial eligibility criteria.
- Finally, the user must be residing in the USA.
So, ABA Free Legal Answers has the following perks:
- Users get the answer in their email addresses from licensed attorneys.
- This website offers legal services, mainly in civil law expertise.
- ABA Free Legal Answers offers free legal services in every state of the United States.
In addition, we have noticed the following cons:
- You have to qualify for getting services from this website.
- This legal services forum doesn’t offer any assistance in criminal law.
LegalShield is your destination if you are looking for legal assistance for individual or small business needs at reasonable prices. Well, this is not a completely free website to seek legal assistance. However, at competitive rates, you will receive stellar and all-around-the-clock support from LegalShield.
This website offers legal advice in the USA and Canada, whereas an hour with a licensed attorney might cost anywhere from $150 to $400. LegalShield provides a monthly membership starting from $29.95. And, you will have to pay $49 for your small-business-related legal services.
A monthly subscription means that you can take numerous follow-up sessions. Well, the website offers help in the following areas:
- Estate planning
- Mortgage documentation
- Family law
- Traffic violations
- Tax audits and more
Business owners can get LegalShield coverage with 3 monthly membership plans starting from $149. Here are the advantages of using LegalShield:
- Services are available for the required duration; no long-term commitment.
- LegalShield serves both business and individual legal needs.
- Get affordable monthly plans for emergency consultation over live chat.
Additionally, we stumble over the following disadvantages:
- LegalShield doesn’t offer free legal services.
- It’s not meant for single use.
- Additional services may cost depending on the attorney and location.
We are back to another free advice online chat service. Navigate to the “Ask a Lawyer” section on Lawyers.com, and you can post your questions. Forget your credit card and seek emergency attorney support from this website for the following practice areas:
- Car accidents
- Criminal defence
- Traffic violations
- Family, child custody, and child support
- Workers Compensation
- Social Security Disability
- Real Estate
- Business, Corporate, Trusts, and Contracts
- Patents and Intellectual Property
- Immigration law
- Rent and tenancy agreements
- Civil Litigation and so on
In short, Lawyers.com offer the following perks:
- Get free and personalised answers to your legal queries from various practice areas.
- The website facilitates an extensive network of lawyers for different states.
However, you have to specify your queries in just 150 letters. You might also have to contact a lawyer if the situation worsens.
FindLaw’s lawyer forum holds 119 different practice areas in the United States and Puerto Rico. Additionally, you can easily find free consultations on FindLaw. This particular online legal services platform lists the most qualified practitioners around you. How to get online legal services from FindLaw?
For your information, browse FindLaw and type your legal issues. Remember to mention your location for the best and most precise answers. Then, FindLaw will show you a list of qualified attorneys. Additionally, the website will allow free consultations from licensed lawyers.
Apart from these, you will learn about essential laws in simpler terms from the state-by-state encyclopedia on FindLaw. If you are satisfied with the free consultations, you can hire a lawyer from the website, too.
Hence, we have discovered the following positives regarding FindLaw:
- According to state laws, you can use the search filter to get the right help.
- FindLaw provides you with free consultations from lawyers.
- Additionally, you can get free online law resources on this website.
On top of that, FindLaw has the following cons:
- Most attorneys have no or minimal reviews.
- Overall, the site offers limited support choices.
6. Rocket Lawyer
Will a free seven-day trial sort out your legal queries? If yes, you can opt for Rocket Lawyer and its incredible services. In addition, this website offers legal services at standardised rates. However, you can avail of Rocket Lawyer’s online legal services in the following nations:
- The United States
- The United Kingdom
- The Netherlands
Besides this, you can sign up for a monthly membership from Rocket Lawyer. This includes unlimited answers to legal questions, documentation, and a 30-minute consultation window. How to get legal aid for free from Rocket Lawyer? You can cancel the membership before your 7-day free trial window ends.
You can even try Rocket Lawyer’s over-the-phone consultation services from reputed practitioners. So far, let’s review the advantages of Rocket Lawyer:
- Get both à la carte and membership services.
- Legal assistance from Rocket Lawyer are available in 6 countries.
- You can try the 7-day trial window for free services.
- Additionally, members can save up to 40% for On-Call attorney services.
On the other hand, the following cons are visible:
- Services demand higher membership fees.
- This site doesn’t offer legal services on weekends.
- The overall service might be complicated if you are here for a simple query.
This social network can solve your legal queries for free. After all, licensed practitioners from all across the globe have access to Twitter. And, they can help you with your legal queries. In addition, you can get easy and right guidance free of charge from Twitter.
Lawyers with Twitter accounts are quite active and might answer your queries. However, the problem with this free legal service online is that you won’t get an instant response. You might have to wait days for some attorneys to answer your questions.
You must have heard about Quora. This is another community forum where you can meet experts from diverse fields. And, dignified lawyers are one of them. Try this question-and-answer platform to get your legal concerns addressed.
If you don’t get any suitable website for free online legal aid, you can post your question on Quora. If any lawyer notices your query, the expert might leave a reply to reveal possible outcomes and a few guidelines.
However, don’t expect to get an urgent response just like Twitter. Additionally, it’s OK for a query. You might have to consult an attorney personally if you require emergency help and proceeding.
This is another similar website to Quora. The main difference is that Reddit is a more privacy-respecting platform. You can post a query anonymously and get legal advice without a credit card.
On the other hand, the user base of Reddit is also incredible. Therefore, try Reddit and find out whether it helps with minor legal curiosity.
Ways to Get Legal Help without Credit Card or Money
Online legal services and free chats are insufficient to solve complicated legal problems. You only need a direct appointment with a lawyer to get out of the situation. Since hiring lawyers can cost you a fortune, here are some alternatives on how to get legal help for free:
- Call or visit the City Courthouse for a lawyer. This is helpful when you can afford an attorney.
- In addition, look out for free lawyer consultations. Many lawyers offer such services, so you must keep looking for them.
- Are you still finding a cheap way to get legal aid? Then, you can visit a nearby law school and hire a law student who will graduate soon. Thus, you have to pay minimal fees. On the other hand, such facilities are available at Howard University, American University, Arizona State University, etc.
- Some non-profit organisations, such as legal aid societies, offer free legal advice and services to needy people with low income. You can contact such an organisation and find out if it helps.
- You can also go to small claims court for minor financial problems. However, they are not much help if it’s a divorce or similar legal issues.
Frankly, multiple solutions are available if you are still getting ready for legal advice and services with a credit card. It’s better to consider online legal services websites to get a quick answer to your legal questions. Otherwise, you can arrange a face-to-face lawyer consultation from a law school, city courthouse, and legal aid society.