Hurricane season in Florida is a period of time when the state is most likely to experience tropical storms and hurricanes. The official hurricane season runs from June 1 to November 30, but storms can form before or after these dates.
In this article, we will explain what hurricane season means for Florida, how to prepare for it, and what the current situation and forecast are for the 2023 hurricane season.
Understanding Hurricane Season in Florida
A hurricane is a type of tropical cyclone, which is a rotating system of clouds and thunderstorms that forms over warm ocean waters. Hurricanes have different categories based on their wind speed, ranging from Category 1 (74-95 mph) to Category 5 (157 mph or higher). Hurricanes can cause strong winds, heavy rain, storm surge, flooding, and coastal erosion.
Hurricane season in Florida is influenced by several factors, such as the position of the Bermuda High, the sea surface temperature, and the El Niño-Southern Oscillation. These factors affect the formation, intensity, and track of hurricanes in the Atlantic basin.
Florida is particularly vulnerable to hurricanes because of its long coastline and proximity to the Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean Sea. According to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), Florida has been hit by more hurricanes than any other state in the U.S., with 120 landfalling hurricanes since 1851. Some of the most devastating hurricanes that have affected Florida include Andrew (1992), Charley (2004), Katrina (2005), Irma (2017), and Michael (2018).
Hurricane season in Florida is also affected by climate change, which may increase the frequency and intensity of hurricanes in the future. According to a study by NOAA, the proportion of Category 4 and 5 hurricanes has increased since 1979, and this trend is likely to continue as the ocean warms. Climate change may also increase the rainfall and storm surge associated with hurricanes, leading to more flooding and damage.
Preparing for a Hurricane
Preparing for a hurricane is essential to protect yourself and your family from the potential impacts of a storm. Here are some practical tips for preparation:
- Make a plan: Create a family disaster plan that includes how to communicate, where to go, what to do, and what to bring in case of a hurricane. Identify a safe location to shelter in place or evacuate if needed. Review your plan regularly and update it as necessary.
- Gather emergency supplies: Stock your home and your car with supplies that can last for at least three days. These include water, food, medicine, flashlight, batteries, radio, first aid kit, cash, documents, and personal items.
- Know the difference between a hurricane watch and warning: A hurricane watch means that hurricane conditions are possible within 48 hours. A hurricane warning means that hurricane conditions are expected within 36 hours. Listen to local authorities and follow their instructions when a watch or warning is issued.
- Get your car ready: Make sure your car is in good condition and has enough gas before a storm hits. Move your car to a safe location away from trees or power lines. Keep an emergency kit in your car in case you need to evacuate.
- Get your family and pets ready: Prepare your family members and pets for a possible hurricane by informing them about the risks and the plan. Pack a go-bag for each person and pet with essential items such as clothes, toiletries, medications, food, water, toys, and leashes. If you have to evacuate, take your pets with you or leave them with someone you trust. Do not leave them behind or tied up outside.
- Get your home ready: Secure your home by closing and locking all windows and doors. Install storm shutters or board up windows with plywood. Trim or remove any trees or branches that could fall on your house. Bring in any outdoor furniture or objects that could become flying debris. Turn off utilities if instructed by authorities.
There are also several resources available to help you prepare for a hurricane:
- Emergency management resources: You can find information about emergency management agencies, shelters, evacuation routes, alerts, and recovery assistance from local, state, and federal sources such as FEMA, Ready, Florida Division of Emergency Management, Florida Disaster, and Florida 511.
- Pet resources: You can find information about pet-friendly shelters, hotels, veterinarians, animal welfare organizations, and tips for pet owners from sources such as ASPCA, Humane Society, Petfinder, BringFido, and RedRover.
- Financial resources: You can find information about insurance, loans, grants, tax relief, and financial planning from sources such as NFIP, SBA, DisasterAssistance, IRS, and CFPB.
- Mental health resources: You can find information about coping with stress, trauma, grief, and emotional support from sources such as SAMHSA, CDC, APA, NAMI, and Disaster Distress Helpline.
Current Situation and Forecast for the 2023 Hurricane Season
The 2023 Atlantic hurricane season has been very active so far, with 17 named storms, six hurricanes, and three major hurricanes as of September 26. The season has already surpassed the average number of storms for an entire season, which is 14.4.
The most recent storm to form was Tropical Storm Tammy, which is expected to become a hurricane by Monday as it moves toward the eastern Caribbean. Tammy could pose a threat to Puerto Rico, Hispaniola, Cuba, and the Bahamas in the next few days.
The forecast for the rest of the season is uncertain, as there are conflicting factors that could influence the storm activity. On one hand, there is an ongoing El Niño event, which tends to suppress hurricane formation in the Atlantic by increasing wind shear and reducing moisture. On the other hand, there are record warm sea surface temperatures in the Atlantic basin, which provide more fuel for hurricanes.
According to NOAA, the outlook for the 2023 hurricane season predicts a 40% chance of a near-normal season, a 30% chance of an above-normal season, and a 30% chance of a below-normal season. NOAA is forecasting a range of 12 to 17 total named storms, six to eight of which could become hurricanes, and three to five of which could become major hurricanes.
To stay informed about the current situation and forecast for the hurricane season, you can check the following sources:
- National Hurricane Center: This is the official source for hurricane information from NOAA. It provides forecasts, advisories, warnings, maps, graphics, and satellite images for all active storms in the Atlantic basin. You can also sign up for email updates or follow them on social media.
- Weather Channel: This is a popular source for weather information from IBM. It provides news, videos, stories, and analysis for all weather events, including hurricanes. You can also download their app or follow them on social media.
- Weather Underground: This is a community-based source for weather information from IBM. It provides blogs, podcasts, maps, models, and personal weather stations for all weather events, including hurricanes. You can also download their app or follow them on social media.
Hurricane season in Florida is a time when the state faces the risk of tropical storms and hurricanes that can cause damage and disruption. It is important to understand what hurricane season means for Florida, how to prepare for it, and what the current situation and forecast are for the 2023 hurricane season. By following these tips and resources, you can protect yourself and your family from the potential impacts of a hurricane.