KING 5 News in Seattle, Washington, delivers news, weather, sports, and entertainment. The station’s weatherman is a familiar face. What happened to KING 5 News weatherman Craig Herrera, who quit in 2021? He left—who took his place? We’ll address these and more in this article.
What Happened to Craig Herrera, the KING 5 News Weatherman?
Craig Herrera was a meteorologist at KING 5 News since 2018 when he joined the station from KIRO 7. He was known for his friendly personality, his love for animals, and his segment “Paws a Moment with Craig”, where he featured adoptable pets from local shelters. He also enjoyed flying with the Blue Angels and covering the Vancouver Winter Olympics.
However, in September 2021, Herrera announced that he was leaving KING 5 News to join Fox Weather, a new digital weather service based in New York City. He said that it was a difficult decision to leave Seattle, but he was excited about the new opportunity and challenge. His last newscast at KING 5 was on September 9, 2021.
Transition in the KING 5 Weather Team
Herrera’s departure was not the only change in the KING 5 weather team in 2021. The station also welcomed some new additions and saw some shifts in meteorologists.
- In October 2021, Mike Everett joined KING 5 as a chief meteorologist. He came from KVOA in Tucson, Arizona, where he was also a chief meteorologist. He has over 20 years of experience in forecasting weather across the country.
- In March 2022, Christopher Nunley joined KING 5 as a co-anchor of the morning weather. He came from KVUE in Austin, Texas, where he was also a morning meteorologist. He has a Ph.D. in Earth and Atmospheric Sciences from Mississippi State University and has published research on weather communication and risk perception.
- In addition to Everett and Nunley, the KING 5 weather team also includes Adam Claibon, Leah Pezzetti, Rich Marriott, and Jordan Steele.
- Some of the meteorologists who used to work at KING 5 have moved to different roles or stations. For example, Rhonda Lee left KING 5 in July 2021 to join WFAA in Dallas, Texas. Craig Herrera’s co-anchor Mimi Jung moved to anchor KING 5 News at Noon.
Remembering The Legacy of KING 5 Weathermen
While the KING 5 weather team has seen some changes over the years, it has also maintained a legacy of excellence and longevity. Some of the most notable weathermen who have worked at KING 5 are:
- Rich Marriott celebrated his 35-year anniversary at KING 5 in December 2022. He is a senior meteorologist who co-founded the Northwest Avalanche Center and has an Emmy Award for his work on climate change.
- Jeff Renner retired from KING 5 in April 2016 after working for the station for almost four decades. He is an award-winning meteorologist who has written books on weather and climate and has taught at local universities.
- Harry Wappler, passed away in April 2010 after working for KING 5 for over three decades. He is a legendary meteorologist who pioneered Doppler radar technology and mentored many young forecasters.
KING 5 News has been providing reliable and accurate weather information to its viewers for many years. The station has seen some changes in its weather team recently, such as Craig Herrera leaving to join Fox Weather and Mike Everett and Christopher Nunley joining as new meteorologists. However, the station has also preserved its legacy of excellence and longevity with weathermen like Rich Marriott, Jeff Renner, and Harry Wappler. Whether it’s sunny or rainy, hot or cold, you can count on KING 5 News to keep you informed and prepared for whatever Mother Nature brings.