The hip-hop community is mourning the loss of Anthony ‘Big Jook’ Mims, the older brother of rapper Yo Gotti, who was shot and killed in Memphis on Saturday, January 13, 2024. The shooting occurred after Big Jook attended a funeral service for a relative, and police believe he was the target of a possible attack. Big Jook was a close associate of Yo Gotti and his label Collective Music Group (CMG), and his death has sparked reactions from fellow artists and fans.
The Tragic Death of Yo Gotti’s Brother, Big Jook
- Shot and killed in Memphis: According to sources with direct knowledge, Big Jook was gunned down near Winchester Road in Memphis around 4:15 p.m. on Saturday. He was reportedly shot multiple times and pronounced dead at the scene.
- Possible targeted attack: Police have not released any information on the motive or the suspects of the shooting, but some reports suggest that Big Jook was the intended victim of a targeted attack. There is also speculation that his death might be related to the murder of rapper Young Dolph, who was killed in Memphis in 2021 and had a long-standing feud with Yo Gotti.
- Reaction from CMG artists: Big Jook was a prominent figure in the CMG family, and his death has left a void in the label. He was often seen promoting and supporting the artists under the imprint, such as Moneybagg Yo, Blac Youngsta, 42 Dugg, and EST Gee. Many of them took to social media to pay tribute to Big Jook and express their condolences to Yo Gotti. Moneybagg Yo wrote on Instagram, “R.I.P Big Jook. You was a real one. Always showed me love and respect. Praying for Gotti and the whole CMG.” Blac Youngsta posted a video of him and Big Jook dancing and laughing, and captioned it, “I love you big bro. You always had my back. You was a legend. CMG for life.”
Details of the Shooting
- Occurred outside a restaurant: The shooting took place outside a restaurant called The Wing Factory, which is located on the same block as Yo Gotti’s restaurant, Prive. Witnesses said they heard several gunshots and saw a man lying on the ground with blood on his clothes.
- Police confirm Big Jook as victim: The Memphis Police Department confirmed that the victim of the shooting was Anthony Mims, also known as Big Jook. They said they are investigating the incident as a homicide and are asking anyone with information to come forward.
- Photos from the scene: Photos and videos from the scene of the shooting have circulated online, showing Big Jook’s body covered with a white sheet and surrounded by police tape. Some of the photos also show a black SUV with bullet holes in the windows, which is believed to be the vehicle that Big Jook was in when he was shot.
More News on Big Jook’s Death
- Reports of targeted attack: As the news of Big Jook’s death spread, some media outlets reported that he was the target of a planned attack by unknown assailants. According to Fox 13, Big Jook and another man were followed by two vehicles after leaving the funeral service, and one of the vehicles opened fire on them. The other man was not injured, but Big Jook was fatally wounded.
- TMZ reports on funeral attendance: TMZ reported that Big Jook was attending the funeral of his cousin, who had died of natural causes, before he was killed. The outlet also claimed that Yo Gotti was not with his brother at the time of the shooting, but he did attend the funeral service earlier in the day.
- Celebrities pay tribute on social media: Many celebrities and fans expressed their shock and sadness over Big Jook’s death on social media. Rappers like Rick Ross, Lil Baby, DaBaby, and Lil Durk sent their prayers and condolences to Yo Gotti and his family. Singer Kehlani wrote on Twitter, “Rest in peace Big Jook. You were always so kind and generous to me. You will be missed.” DJ Khaled posted a photo of him and Big Jook on Instagram, and wrote, “My brother Big Jook. You were a good man. You always showed me love and support. You were a true friend. I’m heartbroken. May Allah bless your soul.”
Controversial Reactions and Fallout
- Lil Nas X’s video controversy: One of the most controversial reactions to Big Jook’s death came from rapper Lil Nas X, who released a video on TikTok mocking the shooting. In the video, Lil Nas X pretended to be Big Jook and acted out his last moments, while playing his song “MONTERO (Call Me By Your Name)” in the background. The video was widely criticized as disrespectful and insensitive, and Lil Nas X later deleted it and apologized.
- Other Hip Hop reactions: Some other hip hop artists also had negative or controversial reactions to Big Jook’s death. Rapper Boosie Badazz, who has been vocal about his dislike of Yo Gotti, posted a laughing emoji on Instagram in response to the news. Rapper Young Thug, who has a close relationship with Young Dolph, said on Twitter, “Big Jook got what he deserved. He was a snake. He tried to set up Dolph. Karma is real.” Rapper 50 Cent, who is known for trolling and beefing with other rappers, posted a photo of Big Jook and Yo Gotti on Instagram, and wrote, “Damn, Yo Gotti lost his brother. That’s sad. I wonder who did it. Maybe it was Dolph’s ghost. LOL.”
- Soulja Boy’s baby mama and Blueface lawsuit fallout: Another fallout from Big Jook’s death involved rapper Soulja Boy, his baby mama Nia Riley, and rapper Blueface. Soulja Boy, who had a brief feud with Yo Gotti in 2020, posted a video on Instagram Live, in which he claimed that he had slept with Nia Riley, who is also the ex-girlfriend of rapper Lil Fizz. Soulja Boy said, “Yo Gotti, you mad? You mad your brother got killed? Well, guess what? I fucked your baby mama. And Lil Fizz’s baby mama. And Blueface’s baby mama. I’m the king of this rap shit.” Blueface, who has a son with Nia Riley, responded by filing a lawsuit against Soulja Boy, accusing him of defamation, invasion of privacy, and intentional infliction of emotional distress. Blueface said, “Soulja Boy is a liar and a clout chaser. He never had sex with Nia Riley. He’s just trying to get attention by disrespecting me and Yo Gotti. He’s a coward and a loser.”
The death of Big Jook has been a tragic and shocking event for the hip-hop community, especially for Yo Gotti and his CMG family. Big Jook was a respected and influential figure in the music industry, and his legacy will live on through his brother and his artists. His murder has also sparked a lot of controversy and drama, as some people have reacted in inappropriate and disrespectful ways. The police are still investigating the case, and hopefully, justice will be served for Big Jook and his loved ones. Rest in peace, Big Jook. You will be missed.