Basketball ranks among the world’s top sports, with the NBA standing as the ultimate stage for pro athletes. A global fan base, counted in millions, follow their preferred teams and athletes, anticipating the seasonal race for the championship. For those devoted to basketball and owning a Samsung Smart TV, the question might arise: how to enjoy NBA games on this device? This piece will guide you through various methods to experience NBA thrill on your Samsung Smart TV, cable subscription notwithstanding.
The different channels that air NBA games on Samsung Smart TV
The NBA season runs from October to June, with regular season games, playoffs, and finals. The games are broadcasted by different channels, depending on the day of the week and the stage of the competition. Here are the main channels that air NBA games on Samsung Smart TV:
- ABC: ABC is the exclusive broadcaster of the NBA Finals, as well as some regular season games on Sundays.
- ESPN: ESPN airs regular season games on Wednesdays and Fridays, as well as some playoff games.
- TNT: TNT covers regular season games on Tuesdays and Thursdays, as well as some playoff games.
- NBA TV: NBA TV is a dedicated channel for basketball fans, offering live games, highlights, analysis and original programming.
How to watch NBA on Samsung Smart TV with ABC, ESPN, and TNT apps
All three major national NBA broadcasters, ABC, ESPN, and TNT, have streaming apps for Samsung Smart TV (and other devices) from which you can tune into the network’s respective NBA coverage. It also includes overflow broadcasts on ESPN2 and TBS. To access these apps, you need to have a cable or satellite subscription that includes these channels. You also need to sign in with your provider credentials to authenticate your account. Once you do that, you can enjoy live and on-demand NBA content on your Samsung Smart TV.
To download these apps on your Samsung Smart TV, follow these steps:
- Press the Home button on your remote control.
- Navigate to Apps and select it.
- Search for the app you want to install (ABC, ESPN or TNT) using the search bar or browsing the categories.
- Select the app and press Install.
- Once the app is installed, launch it from your Home screen or Apps menu.
- Sign in with your cable or satellite provider credentials.
- Start watching NBA games on your Samsung Smart TV.
Options for watching NBA on Samsung TV without cable
If you don’t have cable or satellite service, or you want to cut the cord and save money, you can still watch NBA games on your Samsung Smart TV using various streaming services. These services offer live TV channels over the internet, without requiring a long-term contract or a cable box. Some of them also include DVR features, multiple simultaneous streams, and other perks.
Here are some of the best streaming services that offer NBA channels on Samsung Smart TV:
- Hulu + Live TV: Hulu + Live TV is one of the most popular streaming services in the US, offering over 65 live channels, including ABC, ESPN, TNT and NBA TV. It also comes with access to Hulu’s extensive library of on-demand shows and movies. You can watch Hulu + Live TV on your Samsung Smart TV using the Hulu app, which you can download from the Apps menu. Hulu + Live TV costs $64.99 per month, with a 7-day free trial available.
- Sling TV: Sling TV is a budget-friendly streaming service that lets you customize your channel lineup according to your preferences. You can choose between two base packages: Sling Orange ($35 per month) or Sling Blue ($35 per month). Sling Orange includes ESPN and ESPN2, while Sling Blue includes TNT and TBS. You can also add NBA TV for an extra $11 per month with the Sports Extra add-on. You can watch Sling TV on your Samsung Smart TV using the Sling TV app, which you can download from the Apps menu. Sling TV offers a 3-day free trial for new customers.
- YouTube TV: YouTube TV is another popular streaming service that offers over 85 live channels, including ABC, ESPN, TNT and NBA TV. It also features unlimited cloud DVR storage, six user profiles and three simultaneous streams. You can watch YouTube TV on your Samsung Smart TV using the YouTube app, which you can download from the Apps menu. YouTube TV costs $64.99 per month, with a 7-day free trial available.
Subscribing to NBA League Pass for comprehensive NBA coverage
If you are a hardcore basketball fan and want to watch every game of every team in the NBA, you might want to consider subscribing to NBA League Pass. This is a streaming service that offers live and on-demand access to all NBA games, with some blackout restrictions. You can also watch classic games, original shows and documentaries, and listen to live radio broadcasts.
NBA League Pass has four different plans to choose from:
- NBA TV: This plan gives you access to the NBA TV channel, which offers live games, highlights, analysis and original programming. It costs $6.99 per month or $19.99 per year.
- Team Pass: This plan lets you follow one team of your choice throughout the season, with live and on-demand access to all their games (except for the ones that are blacked out in your area). It costs $17.99 per month or $119.99 per year.
- League Pass: This plan gives you access to all NBA games, with live and on-demand access to every team (except for the ones that are blacked out in your area). It costs $28.99 per month or $199.99 per year.
- Premium: This plan includes everything in the League Pass plan, plus enhanced features such as commercial-free viewing, in-arena stream, VR, and 4K support. It costs $39.99 per month or $249.99 per year.
Unfortunately, NBA League Pass is not available on Samsung Smart TV devices. However, you can still sign up for NBA League Pass and use it on other devices like Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, Google Chromecast, Roku, Android TV, iPhone/iPad, Android Phone/Tablet, Mac, Windows, PlayStation, Xbox, and Sony Smart TV.
Watching NBA on Samsung TV for free with a digital HDTV antenna or free trial streaming services
If you don’t want to pay for any subscription service to watch NBA games on your Samsung Smart TV, you still have some options to catch some of the action for free. Here are two ways you can do that:
- Digital HDTV antenna: A digital HDTV antenna is a device that you can connect to your Samsung Smart TV to receive free over-the-air broadcast channels in your area. Depending on where you live and how strong the signal is, you might be able to get ABC and other local channels that air some NBA games. You can buy a digital HDTV antenna online or at your local electronics store for around $20-$50.
- Free trial streaming services: As mentioned above, some of the streaming services that offer NBA channels on Samsung Smart TV also offer free trials for new customers. You can take advantage of these trials to watch some NBA games for free, as long as you cancel before the trial period ends. Here are some of the streaming services that offer free trials and NBA channels on Samsung Smart TV: Hulu + Live TV (7 days), Sling TV (3 days), YouTube TV (7 days).
Watching NBA on Samsung Smart TV in other countries
If you live outside the US and want to watch NBA games on your Samsung Smart TV, you might face some challenges due to geo-restrictions and the limited availability of streaming services. However, there are some ways you can overcome these obstacles and enjoy NBA action on your device. Here are some of them:
- NBA League Pass International: NBA League Pass offers different plans for international customers, depending on the country or region they live in. These plans vary in price and features, but they generally offer more comprehensive coverage of the NBA than the US version, with fewer or no blackout restrictions. You can check the availability and pricing of NBA League Pass International in your country or region here: https://watch.nba.com/packages
- VPN: A VPN, or Virtual Private Network, alters your digital location and IP address, giving the impression you’re browsing from a foreign country. It permits you to overcome geographic barriers and access streaming services unattainable in your region. Consider connecting to a US server via a VPN for signing up to a US-based streaming service that features NBA channels on Samsung Smart TV. However, take note that VPN usage may infringe the service conditions of certain streaming providers, potentially leading to account suspension or termination.
- Smart DNS: A Smart DNS is a service that allows you to change your DNS settings and unblock geo-restricted websites and apps without affecting your internet speed or security. Unlike a VPN, a Smart DNS does not change your IP address or location online but only redirects some of your traffic through its servers. This way, you can access streaming services that are not available in your area without compromising your online privacy or performance. For example, you can use a Smart DNS to access Hulu + Live TV or YouTube TV on your Samsung Smart TV from outside the US.
Watching NBA games on your Samsung Smart TV is easy and convenient, as you have multiple options to choose from, depending on your preferences and budget. You can watch NBA games on your Samsung Smart TV using cable or satellite TV, live TV streaming services, NBA League Pass, digital HDTV antenna or free trial streaming services. You can also watch NBA games on your Samsung Smart TV in other countries using NBA League Pass International or VPN. No matter which option you choose, you can enjoy watching your favorite teams and players compete for the glory of basketball on your Samsung Smart TV.
I hope you found this article helpful and informative. If you have any questions or feedback, please let me know. Thank you for reading!😊