Smartphones are one of the most important devices in our daily life. They offer us convenience, entertainment, productivity, and connectivity. However, not all smartphones are created equal. Some of them are more popular and well-known than others, while some are underrated and overlooked. In this article, we will explore the most underrated smartphones of 2023, and why they deserve more attention and recognition.
The Most Underrated Smartphones of 2023
Here are six of the most underrated smartphones of 2023, in no particular order:
1. ASUS Zenfone 10
This phone is the successor of the Zenfone 9, which was praised for its flip camera and long battery life. The Zenfone 10 improves on these features and adds a 6.8-inch AMOLED display, a Snapdragon 895 processor, 12 GB of RAM, and 256 GB of storage. It also has a 6,000 mAh battery that supports 65W fast charging and reverse wireless charging. The flip camera has a 108 MP main sensor, a 12 MP ultra-wide sensor, and an 8 MP telephoto sensor, which can also be used for selfies and video calls.
2. HONOR Magic 5 Pro
This phone is the flagship of the HONOR brand, which was formerly a sub-brand of Huawei. The Magic 5 Pro boasts a 6.7-inch OLED display with a 144 Hz refresh rate, a Snapdragon 895 processor, 12 GB of RAM, and 512 GB of storage. It also has a 4,500 mAh battery that supports 120W fast charging and 50W wireless charging. The rear camera has a 50 MP main sensor, a 16 MP ultra-wide sensor, a 12 MP telephoto sensor, and a 3D ToF sensor. The front camera has a 32 MP main sensor and a 3D ToF sensor, which enable face unlock and 3D facial recognition.
3. Lenovo ThinkPhone
This phone is the first smartphone from the Lenovo Think brand, which is known for its laptops and tablets. The ThinkPhone is designed for business and professional users, who value productivity and security. It has a 6.5-inch LCD display with a 120 Hz refresh rate, a Snapdragon 895 processor, 8 GB of RAM, and 256 GB of storage. It also has a 5,000 mAh battery that supports 45W fast charging and 15W wireless charging. The rear camera has a 48 MP main sensor, a 16 MP ultra-wide sensor, a 12 MP telephoto sensor, and a 2 MP macro sensor. The front camera has a 16 MP sensor. The phone also has a fingerprint scanner, an IR blaster, a stylus, and a dedicated button for Google Assistant.
4. Motorola Edge Plus 2023
This phone is the updated version of the Motorola Edge Plus, which was released in 2020. The Edge Plus 2023 has a 6.9-inch OLED display with a 144 Hz refresh rate, a Snapdragon 895 processor, 12 GB of RAM, and 256 GB of storage. It also has a 5,000 mAh battery that supports 65W fast charging and 15W wireless charging. The rear camera has a 108 MP main sensor, a 16 MP ultra-wide sensor, an 8 MP telephoto sensor, and a 3D ToF sensor. The front camera has a 25 MP sensor. The phone also has a waterfall display, which curves at the edges and offers more screen space and gesture controls.
5. Nothing Phone 2
This phone is the second smartphone from Nothing, a new company founded by Carl Pei, the co-founder of OnePlus. The Nothing Phone 2 follows the philosophy of “less is more”, and aims to offer a minimalist and transparent design. It has a 6.4-inch OLED display with a 120 Hz refresh rate, a Snapdragon 895 processor, 8 GB of RAM, and 128 GB of storage. It also has a 4,200 mAh battery that supports 30W fast charging and 10W wireless charging. The rear camera has a 64 MP main sensor, a 12 MP ultra-wide sensor, and a 5 MP depth sensor. The front camera has a 16 MP sensor. The phone also has a transparent back cover, which reveals the internal components and the battery level.
6. Sony Xperia 1 V
This phone is the latest flagship from Sony, which is known for its expertise in cameras and displays. The Xperia 1 V has a 6.5-inch OLED display with a 4K resolution and a 120 Hz refresh rate. It also has a Snapdragon 895 processor, 12 GB of RAM, and 512 GB of storage. It has a 4,000 mAh battery supports 30W fast charging and 15W wireless charging. The rear camera has a 12 MP main sensor, a 12 MP ultra-wide sensor, a 12 MP telephoto sensor, and a 3D ToF sensor. The front camera has an 8 MP sensor. The phone also has a dedicated shutter button, a headphone jack, and stereo speakers.
What Makes These Phones Underrated?
These phones are underrated for various reasons, such as:
- Lack of marketing: Some of these phones are not widely advertised or promoted, either due to budget constraints or strategic decisions. For example, Lenovo ThinkPhone is mainly targeted at enterprise customers and Nothing Phone 2 relies on word-of-mouth and social media buzz. As a result, these phones may not reach the mass market or the general public, who may need to be made aware of their existence or features.
- Comparison to more popular brands: Some of these phones are overshadowed by more popular and established brands, such as Samsung, Apple, or Xiaomi. These brands have a loyal fan base, a strong reputation, and a large market share. They also release new models frequently and offer a variety of options and features. Therefore, these phones may have a hard time competing or standing out from the crowd, even if they have comparable or superior specifications and performance.
- Overlooked features: Some of these phones have unique or innovative features that the average user may not appreciate or recognize. For example, the ASUS Zenfone 10 has a flip camera, which allows for more flexibility and versatility in taking photos and videos. HONOR Magic 5 Pro has a 3D facial recognition system, which enables more secure and convenient unlocking and authentication. Sony Xperia 1 V has a 4K display, which offers a stunning and immersive viewing experience.
Why These Underrated Phones are Worth Considering?
These phones are worth considering for various reasons, such as:
- Outstanding performance and battery life: These phones have powerful processors, large RAM and storage capacities, and fast charging and wireless charging capabilities. These features ensure that these phones can handle any task or application smoothly and efficiently, without lagging or crashing. They also have long-lasting batteries, that can last for a whole day or more, without needing to be plugged in or recharged frequently.
- Ideal size for comfortable use: These phones have large and high-quality displays, that offer a clear and vivid picture, and a smooth and responsive touch. They also have a comfortable and ergonomic design, that fits well in the hand and the pocket. They are not too big or too small, but just the right size for most users.
- Unique features such as smart charging and eco-friendliness: These phones have some features that are not commonly found in other phones, and that may appeal to some users. For example, Lenovo ThinkPhone has a smart charging feature, that optimizes the charging speed and temperature and extends the battery life and health. Nothing Phone 2 has an eco-friendly feature, that uses recycled materials and reduces plastic waste. These features show that these phones are not only functional but also thoughtful and responsible.