The world was shocked and saddened by the news of Matthew Perry’s death on October 28th, 2023. The beloved actor, best known for his role as Chandler Bing on the hit sitcom “Friends”, was found unconscious in a hot tub at his home in Los Angeles. He was pronounced dead at the scene by paramedics. The cause of his death has been a mystery until now, as the autopsy results have been deferred pending further investigation. However, sources close to the case have revealed that Perry died of a drug overdose, possibly involving fentanyl and cocaine .
This article will explore what we know about Perry’s death, how he will be remembered, and how his fans and colleagues have reacted to his tragic passing.
Matthew Perry’s Death: What We Know
According to TMZ, Perry was found unresponsive in a hot tub at his $6 million mansion in the Hollywood Hills. A friend who was staying with him called 911 and performed CPR, but it was too late to save him. The Los Angeles County Coroner’s Office arrived at the scene and took his body for an autopsy. However, the official cause and manner of death have not been released yet, as the coroner is waiting for toxicology and other tests to be completed.
Sources close to the investigation have told Radar Online that Perry died of a drug overdose, and that there were traces of fentanyl and cocaine in his system. Fentanyl is a synthetic opioid that is 50 times more potent than heroin, and can be lethal even in small doses. Cocaine is a stimulant that can increase the risk of heart attack and stroke. The combination of these two drugs can be deadly, as they have opposite effects on the body and can cause respiratory failure.
Perry had a long history of substance abuse, dating back to his days on “Friends”. He admitted that he was addicted to alcohol and prescription painkillers, and that he did not remember filming three seasons of the show due to his drug use . He went to rehab several times, and even had a pancreatitis attack in 2000 that nearly killed him . He claimed that he had been sober since 2017, but sources say that he relapsed during the COVID-19 pandemic and became isolated and depressed .
Remembering Matthew Perry
Despite his personal struggles, Perry was a talented and successful actor who made millions of people laugh with his witty and sarcastic humor. He rose to fame as Chandler Bing on “Friends”, one of the most popular sitcoms of all time. He played the role for 10 seasons from 1994 to 2004, and earned six Emmy nominations for his performance . He also starred in several movies, such as “The Whole Nine Yards”, “17 Again”, and “Fools Rush In” .
Perry was widely regarded as a comedic genius, who had impeccable timing and delivery. He could make any line funny with his facial expressions and gestures. He also improvised many of his jokes on “Friends”, such as the iconic “Could I BE wearing any more clothes?” or the hilarious “Miss Chanandler Bong” . He created some of the most memorable moments and catchphrases on the show, such as “We were on a break!” , “I’m not great at advice. Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?” , or “Oh my God!” .
Reaction to Perry’s Death
The news of Perry’s death sent shockwaves across the world, as fans and celebrities expressed their love and grief for him. Social media platforms were flooded with tributes and condolences for the actor, who touched many lives with his humor and kindness. Some of the messages were:
- Jennifer Aniston, who played Rachel Green on “Friends”, posted a photo of her and Perry on Instagram, with the caption: “My heart is broken. I can’t believe you’re gone. You were my friend, my partner, my brother. You made me laugh like no one else. You were a ray of sunshine in this dark world. I love you so much, Matty. Rest in peace.”
- Courteney Cox, who played Monica Geller on “Friends”, also shared a photo of her and Perry on Instagram, with the caption: “I’m devastated by the loss of my dear friend Matthew. He was a brilliant actor, a generous soul, and a loyal friend. He was the glue that held us together. He was the best thing that ever happened to me. I will miss him every day. I love you, Matthew. You will always be in my heart.”
- David Schwimmer, who played Ross Geller on “Friends”, tweeted: “I’m speechless. Matthew was a brother to me. He was a genius, a legend, and a hero. He was the funniest person I ever met. He made me a better actor, a better person, and a better friend. I’m so grateful for the time we spent together. I love you, Matthew. You will never be forgotten.”
- Lisa Kudrow, who played Phoebe Buffay on “Friends”, posted a video of her and Perry singing “Smelly Cat” on Instagram, with the caption: “I can’t believe this is real. Matthew was a joy to work with. He was a sweet, kind, and funny man. He had a beautiful voice and a beautiful soul. He was my friend, my confidant, my partner in crime. I love you, Matthew. You will always be my smelly cat.”
- Matt LeBlanc, who played Joey Tribbiani on “Friends”, posted a photo of him and Perry eating pizza on Instagram, with the caption: “I’m heartbroken by the news of Matthew’s passing. He was a brother to me. He was a legend, a star, and a friend. He was the coolest guy I ever knew. He taught me so much about comedy, life, and friendship. I love you, Matthew. You will always be my wingman.”
One of the most surprising reactions to Perry’s death came from Keanu Reeves, who had a long-standing feud with the actor over an insult in his book “The Matrix: The Secret History”. In the book, Reeves called Perry “a talentless hack who rode on the coattails of his co-stars” . However, after hearing about Perry’s death, Reeves issued a public apology and announced that he would remove the insult from future editions of his book . He said:
“I’m deeply sorry for what I said about Matthew Perry in my book. It was a childish and petty thing to do, and I regret it immensely. Matthew was an amazing actor and a wonderful human being. He deserved nothing but respect and admiration for his work and his life. I apologize to his family, his friends, and his fans for hurting them with my words. I hope they can forgive me for my mistake. I also hope that Matthew can forgive me from wherever he is. Rest in peace, Matthew. You were a legend.”
Matthew Perry’s Legacy
Matthew Perry left behind a legacy that will live on forever in the hearts and minds of millions of people around the world. He was one of the most influential and beloved actors of his generation, who changed the face of comedy and popular culture with his work on “Friends” and other projects. He inspired countless aspiring comedians and actors with his talent and charisma. He also brought joy and laughter to many people who were going through hard times or needed a smile.
Perry’s work will continue to entertain and inspire future generations, as his shows and movies are available on various streaming platforms and channels . His fans will always remember him for his iconic role as Chandler Bing, as well as his other memorable characters and performances. His colleagues will always remember him for his professionalism, generosity, and friendship.
Perry once said: “I don’t need to be liked, but I need to be respected” . He achieved both in his life and career, as he earned the respect and admiration of his peers and critics, as well as the love and affection of his fans and friends.
Matthew Perry’s cause of death has been revealed as a drug overdose involving fentanyl and cocaine . The actor died on October 28th at his home in Los Angeles . His death remains under investigation by the coroner . Perry was best known for his role as Chandler Bing on “Friends”, one of the most popular sitcoms of all time . He was also a successful movie star and a comedic genius . His death sparked an outpouring of love and grief from fans and celebrities alike . His legacy will live on through his work and his impact on popular culture.