Kieran is one of the main rivals and the final boss of the Indigo Disk DLC for Pokemon Scarlet and Violet. He is a powerful trainer who uses a team of six Pokemon, including the legendary Terapagos. To beat him, you need to prepare your own team well, use effective strategies, and expect some surprises. In this article, we will guide you through the steps to defeat Kieran and complete the Indigo Disk DLC.
Understanding Kieran’s Team
Kieran’s team consists of the following Pokemon:
- Okidogi (Poison/Fighting), level 75
- Munkidori (Poison/Psychic), level 75
- Fezandipiti (Poison/Fairy), level 75
- Archaludon (Steel/Dragon), level 76
- Seadra (Water), level 77
- Terapagos (???), level 80
As you can see, Kieran’s team has a lot of Poison-type Pokemon, which makes them weak to Ground and Psychic moves. However, they also have secondary types that can cover their weaknesses or give them advantages over other types. For example, Okidogi is immune to Psychic moves, Munkidori resists Fighting moves, and Fezandipiti is immune to Dragon moves. Archaludon is a Steel/Dragon type, which makes it very resistant to most types, except for Fighting and Ground. Seadra is a pure Water type, which is weak to Grass and Electric moves. Terapagos is a mysterious Pokemon with an unknown type, but it has very high stats and can use moves of different types.
The recommended Pokemon to use against Kieran’s team are:
- Ground-type Pokemon, such as Excadrill, Garchomp, or Rhyperior. They can deal super effective damage to most of Kieran’s team, especially Archaludon and Terapagos. However, they should avoid Fezandipiti’s Fairy moves and Seadra’s Water moves.
- Psychic-type Pokemon, such as Alakazam, Gardevoir, or Reuniclus. They can deal super effective damage to most of Kieran’s team, except for Okidogi and Munkidori. However, they should avoid Archaludon’s Dragon moves and Terapagos’s Dark moves.
- Grass-type Pokemon, such as Venusaur, Ferrothorn, or Roserade. They can deal super effective damage to Seadra and resist most of Kieran’s Poison moves. However, they should avoid Archaludon’s Steel moves and Terapagos’s Fire moves.
- Electric-type Pokemon, such as Zekrom, Magnezone, or Rotom. They can deal super effective damage to Seadra and resist Archaludon’s Steel moves. However, they should avoid Kieran’s Ground moves and Terapagos’s Electric moves.
Tips and Strategies to Defeat Kieran
Here are some tips and strategies to help you defeat Kieran:
- Taking advantage of weaknesses. As mentioned before, Kieran’s team has some common weaknesses that you can exploit with your own team. Try to use moves that can hit multiple targets, such as Earthquake, Psychic, or Thunderbolt. You can also use items such as Expert Belt or Choice Specs to boost the power of your super effective moves.
- Using status moves. Status moves can help you cripple Kieran’s team and gain an edge in the battle. For example, you can use Toxic to poison his Pokemon and reduce their health over time, or use Thunder Wave to paralyze them and lower their speed. You can also use moves such as Taunt, Encore, or Torment to prevent Kieran from using certain moves or switching his Pokemon.
- Proper team composition. You should have a balanced team that can handle different types of threats and situations. You should have at least one Pokemon that can deal with each of Kieran’s Pokemon, and have some backup options in case of emergencies. You should also have some support Pokemon that can heal, buff, or protect your team, such as Chansey, Clefable, or Togekiss.
What to Expect During the Final Battle
The final battle with Kieran is not a normal Pokemon battle. It is a special event that has some twists and turns that you should be aware of. Here are some things to expect during the final battle:
- Explaining the Indigo Disk final boss and ending. The Indigo Disk is a mysterious device that Kieran uses to control Terapagos and unleash its full power. It is also the source of the purple mist that has been plaguing Kitakami. Kieran believes that by using the Indigo Disk, he can become the strongest trainer in the world and surpass the player. However, he is unaware that the Indigo Disk is actually a trap set by Ogerpon, the ancient evil that once threatened Kitakami. Ogerpon plans to use the Indigo Disk to revive itself and take over the world. The final battle is a showdown between the player and Kieran, with the fate of Kitakami and the world at stake. If the player wins, they will stop Ogerpon’s revival and free Kieran from the Indigo Disk’s influence. If the player loses, they will witness Ogerpon’s resurrection and the destruction of Kitakami.
- How to evolve Seadra in Scarlet and Violet. Seadra is one of Kieran’s Pokemon that can evolve in Scarlet and Violet. However, it does not evolve by leveling up or using an item. Instead, it evolves by being exposed to the Indigo Disk’s energy during the final battle. If the player defeats Kieran’s Seadra, it will evolve into Kingdra, a Water/Dragon type. If the player loses to Kieran’s Seadra, it will evolve into Seadragon, a Water/Poison type. Both evolutions have different stats, moves, and abilities, so the player should be prepared for either outcome.
- Other important aspects of the battle. The final battle with Kieran has some other important aspects that the player should know. First, the battle is a 6-on-6 match, with no items or switching allowed. Second, the battle takes place in a special arena that changes the weather and terrain every turn, affecting the effectiveness and power of certain moves. Third, the battle has a time limit of 10 minutes, after which the winner is decided by the number of remaining Pokemon and their health. Fourth, the battle has a special soundtrack that changes depending on the situation and the Pokemon involved.
After Defeating Kieran
After defeating Kieran, the player will complete the Indigo Disk DLC and unlock some new features and content. Here are some things to do after defeating Kieran:
- Unlocking the Blueberry League Champion battle. After defeating Kieran, the player will be able to challenge the Blueberry League Champion, who is none other than Carmine, Kieran’s older sister. Carmine is a very strong trainer who uses a team of six Pokemon, including the legendary Ogerpon. She is also the only trainer who can use the Teal Mask, a device that allows her to Mega Evolve Ogerpon. To challenge Carmine, the player needs to collect eight badges from the Blueberry League Gyms, which are scattered across Kitakami. The Blueberry League Champion battle is a 6-on-6 match, with no items or switching allowed. The player can use their own Teal Mask to Mega Evolve one of their Pokemon, if they have one.
- Post-game checklist. After defeating Kieran, the player will be able to access some post-game content and activities. For example, they can explore the Area Zero, a hidden region that contains many secrets and mysteries. They can also participate in the Battle Frontier, a facility that offers various challenges and rewards. They can also collect the remaining Pokemon, items, and TMs that they may have missed during the main story. They can also rematch Kieran and other trainers that they have met along the way.
- Catching Terapagos. After defeating Kieran, the player will be able to catch Terapagos, the legendary Pokemon that Kieran used in the final battle. Terapagos is a very rare and powerful Pokemon that has an unknown type and can use moves of different types. To catch Terapagos, the player needs to find it in the Area Zero, where it roams around randomly. The player can use the Indigo Disk to track its location and encounter it. The player can only catch Terapagos once, so they should be prepared and save before the battle. Terapagos is a level 80 Pokemon that has a very low catch rate, so the player should use their best Poke Balls and strategies to catch it.
- Evolving Inkay and Kubfu. After defeating Kieran, the player will be able to evolve two Pokemon that have special evolution methods in Scarlet and Violet. Inkay is a Dark/Psychic type Pokemon that evolves into Malamar by holding the device upside down when it reaches level 30 or higher. Kubfu is a Fighting type Pokemon that evolves into Urshifu by completing one of the two towers in the Area Zero. The Tower of Darkness evolves Kubfu into Urshifu Single Strike Style, a Fighting/Dark type. The Tower of Waters evolves Kubfu into Urshifu Rapid Strike Style, a Fighting/Water type. Both evolutions have different stats, moves, and abilities, so the player should choose wisely.
Conquering Kieran is a true test of your mastery, demanding strategic planning and flexible execution. Prepare your team, exploit weaknesses, and adapt to his surprises. With the knowledge within this guide, you’ll emerge victorious and unlock the post-game treasures that await. Now, go forth, trainer, and claim your place as the ultimate champion of Paldea!