Fortnite, the popular online battle royale game, has featured many crossover events with various franchises, such as Marvel, Star Wars, DC, and more. However, one notable absence from these collaborations is Nintendo, the Japanese video game giant that owns iconic characters like Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon. Is there a chance that Epic Games may add Nintendo characters to Fortnite in the future? According to a recent interview with an Epic Games executive, the answer is yes, but it depends on Nintendo’s willingness to cooperate.
Epic Games’ Attempt to Bring Nintendo Characters to Fortnite
In an interview with IGN, Donald Mustard, the worldwide creative director of Epic Games, revealed that he has been trying to convince Nintendo to let him bring some of their characters to Fortnite. He said that he has a “longstanding relationship” with Nintendo and that he is a huge fan of their games. He also said that he has a “vision” of how Nintendo characters would fit into the Fortnite universe.
However, Mustard also admitted that Nintendo is not very interested in collaborating with Fortnite, as they are very protective of their intellectual property and their brand image. He said that Nintendo is “very, very careful” about who they partner with and that they have a “very high bar” for quality and creativity. He said that he respects Nintendo’s decision and that he will continue to pitch them his ideas until they agree.
Speculations on Possible Nintendo Collaborations in Fortnite
While Nintendo has not officially confirmed or denied any plans to collaborate with Fortnite, some fans have speculated on what kind of crossover events could happen if they did. Based on the past collaborations that Fortnite has done with other franchises, some possible scenarios include:
- Character Skins: Fortnite could add cosmetic items that allow players to dress up as their favorite Nintendo characters, such as Mario, Link, Pikachu, Kirby, Samus, and more. These skins could also come with unique animations, sounds, and emotes that reflect the personality and abilities of the characters.
- Weapons and Items: Fortnite could add weapons and items that are inspired by or taken from Nintendo games, such as the Master Sword, the Fire Flower, the Poke Ball, the Star Rod, the Metroid, and more. These weapons and items could have special effects and functions that match their original counterparts.
- Map Changes and Locations: Fortnite could add map changes and locations that are based on or resemble the worlds and settings of Nintendo games, such as the Mushroom Kingdom, Hyrule, Kanto, Dream Land, Zebes, and more. These locations could have interactive elements and secrets that reference the lore and gameplay of the Nintendo games.
Benefits and Impact of a Nintendo Collaboration
If Epic Games and Nintendo ever decide to collaborate and bring Nintendo characters to Fortnite, it could have many benefits and impacts for both parties and the gaming industry as a whole. Some of these include:
- Increased player engagement: A Nintendo collaboration could attract more players to Fortnite, especially those who are fans of Nintendo games and characters. It could also increase the retention and loyalty of existing players, as they would have more reasons to play and enjoy the game. Additionally, it could create more social and viral buzz, as players would share their experiences and opinions on the crossover event on various platforms and media.
- Boost in sales for both companies: A Nintendo collaboration could also boost the sales and revenue for both Epic Games and Nintendo, as they would have more opportunities to monetize their products and services. For Epic Games, they could sell more V-Bucks, the in-game currency of Fortnite, as players would want to buy the Nintendo-themed skins, weapons, and items. For Nintendo, they could sell more consoles, games, and merchandise, as players would want to play or revisit the Nintendo games that are featured or referenced in Fortnite.
A Nintendo collaboration could also have a positive impact on the gaming industry as a whole, as it could showcase the potential and creativity of cross-platform and cross-franchise partnerships. It could also inspire other developers and publishers to explore similar or new ways of collaborating and innovating in the gaming space.